Atco Turnout

F

FordFast23

We had a pretty good turnout tonight at Atco. It was alot of fun, but too cold! There were 5 Gen1s, 4 black, 1 white, and 1 black Gen2. Three trucks in the 13s, two in the 14s, and one lonely one in the low 15s, no names(Greg), nice stock truck though! Justin did good breaking into the 14s for the first time with 14.7?. Paul had his new intercooler setup. Truck was running good but was too cold for good traction. Larry and I had the same problem. The Gen2 out there ran some 13.4s and a 13.3. Don't remember his mods. Some of us went to Victory Lane for a bite to eat after. Some of the conversation was quite interesting(compliments of Greg).

------------------
Stacie Vancho
93' #2049 Co-pilot
14.01 @ 98.16MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

That was my '99 lightning.Had fun last night.My only mods are a K&N open filter and two Magnaflow muffs in place of the stock one muffler.13.36 @ 102.26

Hey Mike, thanks for posting and welcome aboard. Those were some pretty impressive times for those mods. Boy, do those Gen2s fly! Those magnaflows sound pretty nice too!

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

WELL GOT BLOWER BOLTED ON, I BEING HELD UP BY A VALVE COVER GASKET, I NEED A NEW ONE IT WAS LEAKING, AS SOON AS I GET IT I CAN BOLT INTAKE ON,AND TRY TO GET BELT ON BLOWER ITS SO DAMN HARD, IGNITION IS ALL WIRED UP, JUST INTAKE,BELT, VALVE COVER GASKET,OIL SENDING AND THATS IT 1HR WORTH OF WORK TO DO,FINALLY, CAN WAIT TO GO TO THE TRACK NOW, LATER RICH

Thank's Larry. I was surprised by how fast the truck went Friday night.When it was new (700 miles),it went 13.7 at 99.8 mph(E-Town)in pretty cold weather,so I figured it might be a little faster,but not 13.30's.Those magnaflows were'nt my first choice,but after checking prices on 'cat backs', I found this one from Lightning performance in Oregon.The guy already had it on his truck,but he wanted to try a diffrent style muff,so he sold it to me for 300 bucks.Only had a couple hundred miles on it,still looked new,and it ended up being alot cheaper than the others.Now I guess I have to think about a chip,we'll see.
Later
Mike

------------------
HAMRHEAD
BLK'99
13.36@102.26

Mike, I was surprised too, thats what most chipped trucks usually start out running at!
Have you done any research on what chip you want to go with? Get an chip and you'll be damn near the 12s, or at least low 13s in average weather. What was your 60' on that 13.36? Wish I could get some traction, that stall converter really makes it hard on street tires!

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

[This message has been edited by LW93Rcode (edited 11-26-2000).]

Larry,
I don't know which chip to go with yet.Was thinking Swanson's 'cause the guy I bought my 'cat back' from said 'at that time',his seemed to be the best.Now I see others are using PSP(I think that's their name?) chips and having good results.I see they also offer a crank pulley that will up the boost some.I sent them some mail asking questions about their products,so I'll wait to hear from them.But you're right,I am pretty close to 12's now.If it's easy and cheap enough,I'll go for it.My 60' on that run was 1.98.That was my best 60',but I was right around 2.01 on a couple other runs Friday night.That 1.98 was as good as I ever did when I ran at E-Town,So I think the track was pretty good at Atco after the first couple rounds.You guys def. need to find a way to hook up w/ those converters.Maybe poke around and try to find traction bars,shocks,slicks,etc..I gotta think someone out there has found a way to make a street driven lightning dig in better off the line.I know I kept lowering my tire press. 'til it was at 22psi.That seemed to work the best for me Friday night.I'd love to try a set of slicks one night and possibly leave the line w/ some boost for a change.My AWD Syclone has spoiled me forever. A good hard launch would def. cut a couple tenths our ET's.
Later
Mike

------------------
HAMRHEAD
BLK'99
13.36@102.26

Yeah, those seem to be the two chips to go with. I have a set of wheels and am looking to get a set of ET Drags 29.5x9 from another club member, so I should be able to hook up pretty good soon. Before I installed the converter I was running consistent 2.0s and going 13.5, and 13.4s at 102MPH. I ran two good launches with the converter and got the 13.35 and a 13.4?, with 1.816 and 1.9?? short times, had weight in the bed to help, but it killed my E.T. and MPH at the end. Since then I can't get below a 2.1 60'

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

Larry,
The slicks are def. the best way to go for the strip,but I do like the idea of tossing some weight in the back.I think I'd like to try it next time.Got to find a way to keep it up against the tailgate though.I already do that w/ my Mustang.When I go to the strip,it always has a full tank of gas.Figure that extra weight BEHIND the axle only helps w/ traction off the line.I have drag radials on it,but it still seems to hook better when the tank is full.What do you use for weight? I'm thinking something like sand bags or maybe a couple bundles of shingles(70-80# each). I have a cargo bar,but I don't know if it's strong enough at the big end of the track when I jump on the brakes.Don't need a couple hundred pounds slamming against the front of the box.I have to put some more thought into the weight thing.
Later,
Mike

------------------
HAMRHEAD
BLK'99
13.36@102.26

Mike, I had a set of slicks I had planned to put on the truck (wrong bolt pattern), a jack, and a small tool box. I didn't want to leave the slicks in the pits since they weren't mine. On Friday I was gonna fill up the back tank, but I forgot to stop on the way to the track. I wouldn't put too much weight back there cause it will hurt your E.T and trap speed at the end, at least it seemed to on mine. I expected to lose a couple MPH with the converter, but not 5 like I did. I should have picked up more than the .05 secs that I did too. I didn't rev the stall all the way up either, so who knows!

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

Larry,
Once I'd just like to 'experiment' with the extra weight just to see what happens.Maybe I could launch hard enough to offset the weight penalty.I don't understand why you'd lose mph w/ a converter.What kind of converter do you have(non-lock/lock up,stall,9" 10" etc.)? When I bought one from Kenne Bell for my SY,he told me at least 2.5mph/.25 tenths in the quarter mile.After installing it,I gotta say I think that was true.I have a 9"converter/11"lock-up clutch/3600 stall. It defintely helped! Last Friday night was'nt the best for traction,but it should have been great for high mph. Wonder if something else is holding you back. Guess you gotta try the slicks first.

------------------
Mike Hague
BLK'99
13.36@102.26

Mike, I was retarding timing more than usual, so thats some of the MPH there. Seem to have a 3rd gear lean out. Working on getting that fixed. I have a Level 10 9.5" lockup converter, 2400-2600 stall. I haven't really stalled it up to much cause it just roasts the street tires so I'm not sure exactly what it stalls to. Most of the guys on the list see a .4-.5 tenth improvement with about a 2MPH loss.

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

Larry,
I guess it's right.I'm certainly no expert on speed.I just figure the new converter is smaller,lighter(less rotational mass),and stalls out faster.So I thought it would obviously make the truck faster in both ET and MPH.I don't bother stalling out the converter on my SY either.I can build 13psi+ on the line at 3600rpm,but all it does is spin violently,and it does'nt improve et.Now I launch at no boost/2000rpm w/ 2nd upgrade turbo as compared to 7psi/2100 stock converter w/ 1st upgrade turbo.Granted,I have the bigger turbo now,but I did pick up over 4mph/.5 sec when I changed the converter/turbo combo.Don't think that was ALL turbo.

------------------
Mike Hague
BLK'99
13.36@102.26

I'm not exactly sure either Mike. I guess we'll have to wait until I can get a good pass with some slicks.

------------------
Laurence Weiler
NLOC #339
13.40 @ 102.88MPH
13.35 @ 97.77MPH
ff2b3ccb.jpg

Back