Are There Any Land Rover Aficionados In the House?

bumperquip

I've got a co-worker at the office who owns a 1967 Series IIA Land Rover ... he's owned it since he was in high school ... about 30 years now.

Capture.JPG

Recently his 2.25 Liter gasoline engine let loose and requires either replacement or rebuild.

Do any of you guys have any knowledge and/or expertise with regard to this vehicle or do you know of any folks that do?

Parts, experienced/qualified re-builder(s) and cost information is what we're after.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Honestly, I'd look into diesel powering it! 4 cylinder Isuzu would be nice in that!

Nope... he wants an OE replacement or rebuild with some updated pieces to allow for unleaded fuel.

... but are you saying that an Isuzu engine is a direct transplant?

Nope... he wants an OE replacement or rebuild with some updated pieces to allow for unleaded fuel.

... but are you saying that an Isuzu engine is a direct transplant?

I'm not 100% sure if it is a direct fit but I knew someone that did it a few years ago and I don't recall him having any major issues or needing any crazy fabrication. If he wants to run unleaded all he would need is hardened seats on the exhaust valves.

Here's some info on it.

https://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f7/isuzu-diesel-conversions-4371/

The Isuzu is kinda like the 4BT is here they find their way into a ton of European and Asian vehicles. Light easy to use and easy to modify to fit. You'll probably need mounts and maybe a bellhousing adapter to fit stock trans. But they can be had fully mechanical like the 4BTs. So good mileage fairly low cost and good longevity. They are also good at creeping off road. Better than a gasser any day. And cost wise usually the LR parts are pricey because the good spares are mostly in Europe and Africa where they sold the most of them. So shipping is a bit steep. And a few of the engine parts are unavaliable. My boss has one and put a rebuilt 2.25 in it cost as much to ship the parts he needed as it did to have the work done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I drove one of those deisel-ized Land Rovers at Mecum's auction and I gotta admit it was really cool. I wouldn't hesitate for one second doing that conversion.

... And cost wise usually the LR parts are pricey because the good spares are mostly in Europe and Africa where they sold the most of them. So shipping is a bit steep. And a few of the engine parts are unavaliable. My boss has one and put a rebuilt 2.25 in it cost as much to ship the parts he needed as it did to have the work done.

This is the exact situation that led me to ask you guys.

He's found a fully remanned 2.25 petrol from one of the more well known and reputable parts houses in the UK (I can't recall the name). The cost for the motor is ~ $7500.00 US ... that's not including the shipping and he can't get one until JAN 2019.

There's a place here in the States called Rovers North that apparently has engines redone as well. The cost is about the same, maybe a little more + shipping to FL. And again, no joy till early 2019.

I'm trying to find out who does this work for Rovers North to see if perhaps going directly to them might save some $$ and some time.

This is the exact situation that led me to ask you guys.

He's found a fully remanned 2.25 petrol from one of the more well known and reputable parts houses in the UK (I can't recall the name). The cost for the motor is ~ $7500.00 US ... that's not including the shipping and he can't get one until JAN 2019.

There's a place here in the States called Rovers North that apparently has engines redone as well. The cost is about the same, maybe a little more + shipping to FL. And again, no joy till early 2019.

I'm trying to find out who does this work for Rovers North to see if perhaps going directly to them might save some $$ and some time.
I think the wait time is mostly shipping probably quoted for if they can't save anything in it and have to locate and import the parts. That's what held up my bosses. His block was cracked and they are only available used. They are probably quoting worst case if they can't rework the stock parts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t know anything about Rovers but this place has been around awhile and constantly has restorations being completed. Websites not great but if your contemplating ordering from the U.K. this place would be worth the call.

https://www.hillcountrybritish.com

I don’t know anything about Rovers but this place has been around awhile and constantly has restorations being completed. Websites not great but if your contemplating ordering from the U.K. this place would be worth the call.

https://www.hillcountrybritish.com

It is less than 2 miles from my office I exit the parkway and drive by their lot daily.

Seem to do decent work from driving by.

In fact I was about to post up about um.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back