April/May 2010 Truck of the Month-Congrats to Josh "HIVOLTJ" Leonhardt ! (NLOC#2681)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skritch

April/May 2010 Truck Of The Month – Congratulations Josh (HIVOLTJ) Leonhardt ! (NLOC #2681)

Towards the eastern end of “Big Sky Country” residing in Montana’s largest city of Billings comes this months owner of Truck of the Month. While Montana is fourth in size it is 44th in population making for lots of space and little in the way of vehicles clogging the roads. Josh has plenty of “clear road” for “on-road testing” of current and planned changes to his Lightning. A number of changes have been made to his Lightning but the big horsepower changes will be coming this spring. Some changes may have already been made as you read this !

Read on to learn more about Josh and his Lightning then join in the congratulations to Josh Leonhardt !

4449645395_b782683621_b.jpg

4431874796_dd164ee8a9_b.jpg

1. What sparked your interest in the Ford Lightning?

I always loved the 92-96 F-series body style since they were new. My dad had a few when I was growing up, and I had also previously owned a '92 F-150 with a 300 I-6, and a '96 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 with the E4OD. It had been about 6 months since I sold the Bronco, and I had the itch for something new. I was out of town for a HS basketball game of my brother's, and stopped to eat on the way home, in the parking lot was a black Gen 1 Lightning, I'm ashamed to say as a Ford guy I had never heard of them, I was 10 years old when they came out, and 2WD sport trucks are NOT popular in Big Sky country! I was very intrigued by it, spent about 10 minutes walking around, eyeing it all over.

4431043209_db26b19dbe.jpg

2. Do you have any interesting stories about previously owned vehicles, before becoming a Lightning owner?

I've been into cars since I was old enough to talk, my whole family are car guys, so I've always had a cool ride. I started as a Chevy guy with my '65 Impala SS as a first car, then had a jacked up '86 Chevy K10, that quickly turned around when I bought my '78 F-150, Junior year in High school. Then I was a Ford guy for life. I enjoyed building that truck, bored the 400M .020 over, did a skyjacker 4" lift, and a bunch of goodies for the motor, that truck beat more than a few cars from the stoplight in it's day (even with 4 on the floor), and caught air at least a couple times.

4431813166_a269f2196c_b.jpg

3. What modifications have you made to your truck since you have owned it...both show and go?

Not a lot so far, actually catching me at a weird time, as the Lightning was a stock-ish Daily Driver, now retired to a toy, and slated to get a host of mods between now and spring time! I did add a Mar-K roll pan, shaved the front bumper, added my own plate mount, and number tag on the bumper. DJM shackles, Energy Suspension bushings throughout the suspension, blasted and repainted the wheels. Ultra-clear headlights, clear turn signals, custom taillights, changed the rear slider out for a solid window, Eclipse CD player, MTX 10" sub behind the dodge center seat I installed (truck came with a console). For go, added FRPP 9mm plug wires, built my own cold-air intake, deleted smog and EGR, been through at least four exhausts (what can I say, I like building exhausts) currently a Bassani BX off-road X-pipe, and a custom Magnaflow catback built by me.

4431038725_d130b7a267_b.jpg

4431105923_f469923a8d_b.jpg

4431875274_0a1f70d194_b.jpg

4. Do you have any interesting stories about your Lightning?

The trip to buy it was quite interesting. Me and my three brothers crammed into my brother's '07 Mustang GT, leaving Billings at 4 AM in the snow to try and make it to Spokane, WA and back in one day. Hauling butt through the twisties on the way back through Idaho and western Montana, one very cool Montana Highway patrolman who I think just wanted a closer look at the truck as he pulled me over for 83 in a 75. Didn't make it in one day, got to Missoula and was too tired to go on, did some burnouts and doughnuts by the hotel. It was a great trip.

4431104449_c963eb7773_b.jpg

5. Tell us about yourself, your hobbies, business or work, sports, family, etc.

I'm 26, work as a Parts guy at a small radiator shop (so I end up wearing a few hats), but do have access to a drive-on hoist, welding and fab equipment, so I have no complaints. I was an ASE certified technician, worked at a few independent shops, and a Ford dealership for a total of about five years, decided I only like to work on my stuff! I've been married over 5 years to my lovely wife Chelsea, and we had our first child, Bryce this past summer.

4431038473_7e9a352417_b.jpg

4431876758_685ba21988_b.jpg

4431877250_2d17f92c39_b.jpg

4431877598_6f10210734_b.jpg

4431105569_af11c19124_b.jpg

6. How long have you been a user of the NLOC.net, when did you become an NLOC member, and why did you choose to become a member of NLOC?

I joined right about this time 2 years ago, when I was actually looking for someone to check out a Lightning I had found for sale. A member local to the truck (Bernie baby2000) was thinking about selling his truck, and some PM's and phone calls later a deal was made. I chose to become a paid member last winter, when I knew I would be staying put, and was glad for the wealth of information the site gave me access to.

4431104125_d1feb096ff_b.jpg

7. What suggestions do you have to make the NLOC.net website easier to use and navigate?

I like it how it is, I think the search could be a little better.

4431878606_0d40e39ded_b.jpg

8. Why did you pick your board user name (screen name)?

Well, I did carry over my name from the Corral, but changed it after I sold my Mustang. HIVOLTJ is what is on my plates on the L

4431043241_92edbf4ef0_o.jpg

9. What are your plans for future changes to your truck?

I am currently putting the pieces together for a Vortech S-trim kit. Will also be building some Long bars, adding a 3-gauge pillar pod, wideband, TwEECer for tuning, and hopefully a tonneau cover.

4431107779_8471eb39cf_b.jpg

10. Whom would you like to thank for help\donations\support for putting the truck together?

First my wife and family, for at least partially understanding my obsession, also Ron (bumperquip), Jayson (Jay Jr), Rob (giddyup), Shawn (sprttruk), and all the members here for their guidance and advice over the years

4431901210_e7868884e8_b.jpg

4431106657_3461fcdb7a.jpg

Congratulations to Josh and his 1994 White Ford Lightning for Truck of the Month, April/May 2010 !

Last edited:
Nice truck and great color too!I'm not really a white vehicle guy,but it just works on this truck.

Well hell! Look who it is:D Montana is on the board! Wahoo!
Gee, that truck sure does picture well. Great job and I look forward to seeing the project progress. :eek:ldtu:

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back