Anyone Wanna Buy Jay Leno's 2000 Harley Truck?

So did Ford put the blower on it, or did Jay add it later? The first Harley truck would not have come with a blower, but it says Ford presented it to him so they could have done something special with it.

Yes since this was the very first HD ever produced, Ford put a L drivetrain in it from the factory, it's not just a top end swap truck.

So that makes it 1 of 1 for being the only factory supercharged 00 HD, and it also is 1 of 8,197 being the first one produced in 2000 (the guy in the video is wrong when he said they made about 4000, they planned on 7500 and ended up doing 8197).

It also makes it the most powerful gen 1 HD from the factory, since it got the full 360 hp L powertrain, whereas the 02-03 HD's got a slightly detuned 340 hp version.

Yeah yeah throw a few mods on some trucks it's all out the window, it's still slow by today's power levels, yadda yadda yadda. Still a very unique and badazz truck and a little more special than just the 1st one to roll off the line since it was different than all the others.

Wish I won the powerball, this would have been my first purchase lol

It don't know about still being slow by today's power levels. Power levels have gone up, but weight has gone up faster and new trucks don't make torque like the blown 5.4 did. A new 410hp Raptor would struggle to beat a stock gen 1 L. Same story with the other brands. They market a big hp number, but lugging around 6k lbs with a torqueless engine with 33" rubber and lousy gearing makes for a turd.

It don't know about still being slow by today's power levels. Power levels have gone up, but weight has gone up faster and new trucks don't make torque like the blown 5.4 did. A new 410hp Raptor would struggle to beat a stock gen 1 L. Same story with the other brands. They market a big hp number, but lugging around 6k lbs with a torqueless engine with 33" rubber and lousy gearing makes for a turd.

Ummm, wouldn't quite agree with that.

You apples & oranges comparing a 4500 lb regular cab Lightning to a 6000 lb supercrew Raptor. If you compare a 2014 regular cab f150 to a 2004 regular cab Lightning, weights are fairly similar, and in the case of 2015+, they're even lighter with the aluminum body, aluminum blocks, etc.

Also a 411 hp, 6000 lb stock Raptor can keep up with a stock Gen 1 Lightning that weighs what 2,000 lbs less? My bone stock screw Raptor ran 14.9 @ 92, not a single mod, and crossed the scales at 6,300 lbs. Not too bad for literally 1 ton more weight lol. Digging up 1/4 mile times for stock gen 1 L's aren't they low-mid 15's?

Truck's don't make torque like the blown 5.4 did? While yes the blown 5.4 was one of the few engines of earlier days that actually made good #'s compared to the turd 260 the n/a 5.4 made, but the new trucks are making incredible power and torque for being N/A.

Gen 2 5.4: 380 hp @ 4750, 450 tq @ 3250 (or 360/440 for 99-00)
Raptor 6.2: 411 hp @ 5500, 434 tq @ 4500 (31 hp more, 16 tq less)

Yeah it's a bit more RPM, but it's also 2 more gears being 6 speeds. I can tell you first hand, the new trucks, 5.0, 3.5 EB, and 6.2, all feel way faster than their predecessors just from gearing alone despite being N/A with only slightly less tq at a little higher RPM.

Lousy gearing? That's the exact opposite! As mentioned that 6 speed makes a HUGE difference, 1st is such a low gear it kicks the trucks in the *** off the line. 2nd gear in those trucks is comparable to 1st in the gen 2's. My 00 HD even with the supercharger setup on it, even when it was mildly modded, had absolutely turd gearing being factory 3.55's with a 4 speed trans and 30" tall factory tires. My Raptor even despite massive 35's can launch out of the hole pretty good from an insanely low 1st gear in the 6 speed and factory 4.10 gears.

So long story short, yeah you can get a heavy truck, but same cab combo, weight is similar, if not lighter (2015+), gearing is right on the money especially with the 6 speed (and 10 speed coming) trans, and torque isn't all that shabby for being N/A compared to older s/c trucks, the gearing and hp makes up for the slight tq difference. Enough so that even the bigger screws can keep up with lighter regular cabs of years past.

Now modded, n/a never mods as easily as s/c or turbo, I'd definitely take a gen 2 powertrain for modding any day of the week. But stock for stock, the new powertrains are impressive and done right. Certainly a recipe now that could support a Gen 3 L between the capable powertrains, awesome trans, and light bodies & blocks.

So you don't agree with it, but you used all those words to say the same thing I said. And the numbers on the Raptor are nowhere near the gen 2. A stock gen 2 puts down something like 340/440 to the wheels. A 6.2 Raptor is close on HP, but is down on torque about 100 ft-lbs. As for the gen 1, they are basically a 15.0 truck. If you're running a tenth faster that isn't exactly beating them with ease, hence struggling to beat one.

you said weight has gone up, the new 15+ the weight has gone down

you said the new trucks don't make torque so a Raptor will struggle to beat a stock gen 1 L. A stock raptor will spank a stock gen 1 L, and a gen 2 raptor will potentially keep up with a stock gen 2 L. Even if you want to call a 6300 lb screw on 35's being a tenth faster than a gen 1 L "struggling", well it still beats it while lugging a full 2,000+ lbs of weight down the track with it lol.

you said they have lousy gearing. They're actually geared even better than our trucks were between both a 6 speed trans, and having ideal rear end gearsets for the tire sizes they run. That's one of the reasons why despite being heavier, and despite having a little less tq (not an exaggerated 100 ft lbs less, but less), that they can still keep up, and "struggle" to whoop some of the trucks of yesteryear.

I've got a Gen 1-ish '85, A Gen 2-ish '00 HD truck, and a '12 Raptor, so I own all 3 ends of the spectrum and love all of them, but I don't sugar coat the older trucks to try and discredit the modern ones for what they are. They really have come a long way stock for stock, overall package, and are kicking some major ***.

Plus, if Ford came out with a "Gen 3" that had a 360/440 or 380/450 supercharged V8 drivetrain, they'd get torn up for making such a weak combo in 2016 when their N/A powerplants or little ecoboosts are making close to those #'s or better. Which is simply all I was saying. By today's standards, that 360/440 powerplant in Jay Leno's 00 HD is pretty lackluster for a performance vehicle in 2016, yet it was the cream of the crop in 2000.

The new F series are not the only trucks on the market. Collectively they have gained weight. Even the new "lighter" F-150 is heavier than they were 20 years ago.

I didn't say a lack or torque meant the Raptor struggled to beat a gen 1. I said they had lousy torque AND that they struggled. Both are true. Your Raptor might have run 14.9, but they don't all run that well. There have been stock gen 1s run that fast, but that isn't representative of all of them. For all practical purposes they are equals at the drag strip. They have all of those gears because they have to have them just to move them down the road. But that doesn't help once you are rolling and that is where a truck with a 3.15, 3.21 or similar ratio sucks. Yes, you can spend extra money and get a different ratio, but you shouldn't have to. Can you imagine how well they would run if they weren't weighed down with all the excess crap that comes on new trucks? That's my whole point. We have these great engines, but they don't do anything special because of what they're in.

There is no doubt that newer trucks have more features, have better fit and finish and are overall better than they were 15-20 years ago. I don't deny that at all. But all of that comes at a price. That's why all of the trucks now have an available 400+ hp, weigh 6000 lbs, have 8 speed transmissions and cost nearly $30k for a base model and $60+k for a nice truck. The marketing department has run wild with these things and they are loaded with stuff that is there for no real reason other than to say it's there.

Personally there is not ONE 2016 truck be it Ford Chevy whatever that appeals to me in anyway.

They are all pretty hideous to look at although some perform OK not one is a true PERFORMANCE truck.

I have so far not had any new model truck run away from my G2

I plan to ride the G2 for many yrs to come
Decent looks
Decent performance
Dont see yourself coming all that often either
And at barely 45k miles it has at least a solid 100k in it before it should require any major maintenance barring any unforeseen issues that is.

I agree. There is nothing available that I am even a little interested in. I don't even remember the last truck design I liked. For that matter, I can't think of a single vehicle available today that I really want. I liked the last Mustang, but the new one looks too much like a Mustang II. The new Vette looks like something out of a comic book. All the trucks are ugly as a box of smashed @$$holes. The performance is great, but it's been proven time and time again that there's more to it than performance. From 93-02 the GM guys talked about how much better the fbody was than the Mustang, and they were right, but look what survived.

Did I say slow by today's f-150's? Did I even say slow by today's trucks? No, I simply said "it's still slow by today's power levels" referring to Leno's 360/440 hp/tq truck compared to power levels of popular high performance vehicles of today, since the s/c 5.4 platform was a high performance vehicle of the early 2000's. Which regardless of anyone's personal tastes for styling of today's vehicles, 360/440 is not impressive for a performance vehicle by today's standards. It's nothing to sneeze at, but it's not impressive in the days of 526 hp N/A GT350s, 668 hp GT500s, 707 hp hellcats, 411+ hp Raptors, etc. Back in 2000 that 360 hp was one of the most powerful vehicles on the street. Fast forward a decade and a half, our kid hauler grocery getter explorer has 365 hp and runs 14.5's at 5200 lbs lol.

The new F series are not the only trucks on the market. Collectively they have gained weight. Even the new "lighter" F-150 is heavier than they were 20 years ago.

I didn't say a lack or torque meant the Raptor struggled to beat a gen 1. I said they had lousy torque AND that they struggled. Both are true. Your Raptor might have run 14.9, but they don't all run that well. There have been stock gen 1s run that fast, but that isn't representative of all of them. For all practical purposes they are equals at the drag strip. They have all of those gears because they have to have them just to move them down the road. But that doesn't help once you are rolling and that is where a truck with a 3.15, 3.21 or similar ratio sucks. Yes, you can spend extra money and get a different ratio, but you shouldn't have to. Can you imagine how well they would run if they weren't weighed down with all the excess crap that comes on new trucks? That's my whole point. We have these great engines, but they don't do anything special because of what they're in.

There is no doubt that newer trucks have more features, have better fit and finish and are overall better than they were 15-20 years ago. I don't deny that at all. But all of that comes at a price. That's why all of the trucks now have an available 400+ hp, weigh 6000 lbs, have 8 speed transmissions and cost nearly $30k for a base model and $60+k for a nice truck. The marketing department has run wild with these things and they are loaded with stuff that is there for no real reason other than to say it's there.

Well being my raptor was bone stock and I made a slew of passes all 14.9-15.0, at several different tracks, various conditions, it's pretty representative of what anyone can do with a stock Raptor. And not sure what models you're looking at, but most don't have 3.15 or 3.21 gear sets. As I mentioned the Raptor is 4.10's stock, which between that and the insane low gear on the 6 speed trans makes them haul *** despite slightly less torque being N/A. 6300 lb trucks cracking into the 14's is pretty incredible for N/A no matter how you want to twist it, especially being they're not even a drag-oriented vehicle like the L was. Yes if they were lighter it'd obviously be faster, but heck, going more apples to apples, my 139" wheelbase fully loaded top model f150 you could buy in 2000 went low-mid 16's N/A with the most powerful n/a v8 you could get in a f150. Fast forward, my 145" wheelbase fully loaded top model f150 you could buy in 2012 went high 14's/low 15's N/A with the most powerful n/a V8 you could get in an f150 at the time. Gained well over 1,000 lbs and shed well over a second, they definitely were netting gains in the right direction.

as far as the marketing department adding things just to add weight with no reason other than to say it's there? Like what? They aren't adding dead weight for feature-less things. There are a lot more creature comforts on today's trucks than older ones, but they're there to add creature comforts and additional new options. Those in themselves are reasons more than "just because".

Trucks stopped being trucks back in the late 90's. These things today are just cars with a bed.

'cept they can still do truck stuff that car's with a bed can't, and can even do truck stuff way better than trucks of the 90's lol

Sold for 200k all for MS charity.
Someone paid about 10x what it is worth for a "good cause"

well I doubt they did it as much for the good cause, as much as the good tax write off lol. What a nice problem to have, make so much money you need to way overpay at an auction to get enough of a write off lol. The Focus RS also sold for a ridiculous amount, $550k at BJ!

Wasn't quite 10x's what it was worth though lol. Mint pristine HD's are worth about $20k-30k. THat one being the VERY first one, and the only one factory s/c in 00, it's true value is probably around $50k. So they only overpaid by about quadruple lol. But hey, good cause!

Back