Anyone seen/heard from James?

Trav4011

I've been trying to get ahold of him for 3-4 days, with no luck.. Is he sick or something? If anyone sees him, please let him know that I've been trying to get ahold of him.

Sorry to post this in the open forum, but, I've tried every other means, several times..

Thanks..

Travis

No "problem", really.. I just need a few more tweaks since we switched the tune to open loop only. Nothing to write home about, just super rich in certain areas, and a start up enrichment issue.

Travis

Surely you knew of his reputation before you took the truck to him. Quality work, but often impossible to get anything from him. James seems to be a victim of his own success.

Not really.. James is/was a super nice guy, and very helpful. It's just hard to get ahold of him for some reason. I'm not one to badger, as I know how it can be (one man show).. but, I usually try to at least get back with a customer within a day or two.. especially if I know that they're having a few issues, or an ongoing problem.

Again, I'm not upset or anything.. I just need to get ahold of him for some changes. The tune is driveable, but, it's going to foul plugs if I keep driving it.

Travis

I'm posting this for James, as he didn't want to step on the toes of any of the vendors.

Travis, thanks for your concern (I'm being sincere). You sent me a text yesterday morning, and I'm sorry I didn't reply right away. As you know, I had major surgery recently, so I have not been working, but recuperating instead (there is also an announcement on my support forums about this). I had some good days last week, and thought I was near normal again, but found out I overdid it, so I'm back doing basically nothing (supposedly "rest" helps a body? LOL!).

Unfortunately, as much as all us tuners would love to, we can't go by "word of mouth" for vehicle data. We need full datalogging files to go on. Furthermore, it gets complicated when we're dealing with budget widebands that are inaccurate, which yours showed to be on my dyno (up to a half point). Also, one can absolutely not trust a "budget" wideband at idle, especially a vehicle with aftermarket cams, and then the inaccuracy of the wideband exacerbates the issue (more on that in a moment).

You also had charging system issues, and major fuel delivery issues when you came to my dyno (potentially the fuel was boiling). There was also the issue with your pre-TB inlet tube, due to the flow angle causing an odd ramp-in effect into the MAF, allowing for the pcm to generate false Load readings, which affects any parameter that uses Load (just about everything). Your cams are also not degreed in, only "dotted", and you told me that one of them was 4 or 6 degrees out when you measured them, so this complicates matters, as well. After being on the dyno for 15 hours straight (I still can't believe how cool your wife was being, haha), we were at a standstill with the truck. You were going to work on rectifying the issues, and then bring it back once done, so we could finish dialing it in, and also get a race tune made up. Didn't you recently find trash in an injector(s), too?

In regards to the OL and CL debate, I never recommend anyone go full time OL, but only in extreme situations. Having STFTs (short term fuel trims) at idle and part throttle tells us volumes about an engine. It can tell if the cams are timed correctly (;)), if the distribution of the manifold/injectors/etc are good, etc, etc, etc. CL tuning just naturally gives you much more data for idle and part throttle tuning. And, yes, factory O2 sensors are WAY better for idle and part throttle tuning than any "budget" wideband could ever be. The OL choice was strictly yours, and I complied, just as you said you wanted your 3rd gear to "snap my spine when it shifts", so I did that for you, as well, and warned you it could potentially destroy the transmission (you said it was a "hot rod", :D).

Anyway, it's all good, you know I will work to take care of you, buddy.

To everyone, the only accurate budget wideband is the NGK AFX (and it is most accurate with the optional NTK sensor), which is nothing more than an AFM-1600 with a modified display. It is within 0.1 tenths accuracy at all times. All others are WAY off, especially as exhaust temps and vehicle voltage change. You can see this info here:

Wideband Accuracy: Facts & Issues - HP Tuners Bulletin Board

If you are planning on purchasing a wideband in the future, or replacing your current one, let this be the one! All the others just can NOT be trusted.

Last edited:
I wasn't really complaining, or blasting on James at all..

I'm perfectly happy with the layout as it is.. I just needed to make a few changes in a few spots. I had spoken to you last week, so as far as I knew, you were back up and running. I didn't know the extent of your surgery, so I could only guess. I emailed you a few times, and I called the number that you had listed as your business line Thursday, Saturday, and Wednesday. I didn't want to bother you on your personal cell, as I didn't want to be rude, and it really wasn't an emergency or anything. I sent you a text message on your cell, eventually, and then posted here to see if anyone had heard from you lately. I didn't know if you were on vacation, hurt, or whatnot. So, again, I wasn't trying to blast you at all. Sorry if you took it that way.

Yes, my truck had a few issues when it went to the dyno. It was a freshly built setup, from the ground on up, and there was bound to be a few issues. My cam timing isn't 4-6 degrees off (per bank), though.. maybe you misheard what I said.. ;) It was 2 degrees on one bank, and 3 degrees on the other.. or, a TOTAL of about 5 degrees. Certainly not enough to worry about. The trans is built to the hilt, and 3rd gear engagement was VERY mushy, to the point of slipping a bit.. which is why I asked to stiffen it up a bit. The "spine snapping" was a joke.. The trans shifts great, now..

The AEM is half a point off, but, when IT is reading 11.5:1 while cruising, then, you know it's rich.. ;) I actually have a NGK/NTK setup on order.. should be here next week. So, I can finally get rid of this damn UEGO.

I appreciate the time that you put in.. and I left you a awesome review here, and on NLOC. It's just a little frustrating when you can't get in touch with the only person who can really help. Like I was saying.. I didn't realize that you weren't back in the saddle.. As I had spoken to you last week, and figured that everything was fine. My appologies if you took this the wrong way.

Travis

Last edited:
Mods.. just go ahead and close/delete this thread..

It was taken way out of context, and I'm just going to end up getting blasted for it anyway.

I've been fightning with this damn truck for a few months, and I'm just aggravated with it. It's not anyone's fault.. certainly not James.. I'll just try to get ahold of him through private channels when he gets better.

Travis

Back