anyone in kansas city?

C

caa76

hello, just bought a new 2000L and i want to get some help on finding good after market products(like air intakes, chips,TB, etc..) or i like to meet up or email you. thanks for your help.

caa76:Welcome aboard! The second generation L has been out for over a year now and the aftermarket is gaining steam. You sound like you may have already done some research into what works the best for our vehicles since you mentioned chips and air intake/filter assemblies. There are at least 4 companies who make an air inlet assembly and at close to a half-dozen who make a chip.

Whose chip and airfilter works the best can best be discussed in the same breath as which political and/or religious affiliation is best -- it becomes that polarized. The best advice I can give you is to spend a few days wearing out the search engine here, and on www.f150online.com. Between the two sites you'll have more data (dyno and otherwise) to digest than I've seen for any other truck at this time in it's lifecycle.

I'm honestly not trying to do a cop-out here, but just as some vehicles run better than others out the door, some chips help some vehicles more than others. The main chip 'players' if you will are (in no specific order):

1) Superchips.
2) PowerSurge Performance (PSP).
3) Shawn Highland Motorsports (SHM)(hope I spelled that right).
4) Swanson.
5) In-Tech.

Air Filters:

1) Air Raid.
2) PowerSurge Performance (PSP).
3) Downs.
4) Shawn Highland Motorsports (SHM).

Check those out and you will do great whichever decision you make. There are pictures posted showing what they look like installed so you can get an idea how they'll look.

One thing you can do right now and at $0.00 cost is to remove the air inlet tube between your factory airbox and innerfender sheetmetal. This short 6-8" peice of black rubber reinforced hose that seems to be a restriction worth about 2 lbs of boost. It can be done with your bare hands as it needs no tools or special skills. Just work it back and forth and it comes out fairly easily.

Hope this gets you started.

hey roger, thanks a whole lot. that was some great info! i glad that someone took the time to create such a great site.
are you from missouri? if so what part?

thanks again,
carl
00 silver L
no mods--YET!

HEY ROGER MAYBE WE CAN MEET UP AND TALK, I NEED ALL THE ADVICE I CAN GET. IF YOU WANT YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT CAA76@SWBELL.NET

THANKS AGAIN

Caa76: I'll be at the GM Fairfax Assy plant tomorrow at an autocross from about 9:30 till about 2-ish. Toss a cooler and chair into the back of your truck and come on out and give it a try -- you'll have a blast.

Hi caa76, welcome aboard !
You probably would be suprised at the number of owners who do live in KC or a little outside of it. The best way to find out would be the truck drags in early Sept. The mods your looking at are definitely the ones to go for. IT seems most go for the air filter first, have a chip burned for that mod, then mabey go for 4-10 gears but they are starting to get scarce. However Roger is the man to talk to about this as he has done all the above. The scary part is he has every part I want on MY truck! He even has the same stereo head unit in the dash! Every time I see his truck my face seems to go from
smile.gif
->
frown.gif
. Just kidding Roger!!! Oh I forgot the exhaust and I'm not sure if Bassini is the only one or if there are others and that may still be in the testing stages. Well hope you enjoy your L and keep the gas card handy in the wallet cause your gonna need it
smile.gif

Roger- got your call and will try to contact you ASAP. Thanks.

------------------
99 Lightning-no mods yet but PSP products in the future
97 Probe GT- stock

caa76 that is one more to add to the :mlo:
your truck will bring you many smile's. i live in blue springs area but i spend a lot of time up north (kc). my truck is a black 95 no badges. it has most of all the bolt ons mods. no blower yet but a few of us are working on it. we need to do something to keep up with the 99 and 00. just thought i would say hay.... happy trucking.

------------------
Five0 Drw
nolc# 354
#63 "n" 95

[This message has been edited by five0drw (edited 07-31-2000).]

HEY ROGER, GREAT EVENT SUNDAY! I MIGHT BE GOING TO THE ONE AT THE WOODLANDS ON THE 13TH OF AUGUST! I SURE YOU WILL BE THERE. I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU: WHAT MODS DID YOU DO TO YOUR LIGHTNING? AND WHAT DOES YOUR LIGHTNING RUN THE THE 1\4 MILE?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
CA

KCSTORM,WHAT PART OF MISSOURI ARE YOU FROM?
DO U OWN A LIGHTNING, IF SO, WHAT YEAR, MODS DID YOU ADD. THANKS FOR RESPONING?

caa76: I just found out yesterday I won't make it. I'll be out of town for 3 weeks starting the coming Sunday.

kcstorm mentioned my mods in one of his replies. Best 1/4's are 13.56 @104.90. Best ET at KCIR is 13.64.

The thing I need to work on the most is my 60' times. I have yet to get one better than a 2.03

SORRY TO HEAR THAT, ROGER I NEED SOME INFO ON THE PROS AND CONS ON A 4-10 REAR END? AND WHAT IS IT GOING TO COST ME TO PREFORM THIS MOD? WHO DOES THIS MOD? WHERE DO I PURCHASE THE REAR END, FROM FORD? OR IS THERE AN AFTERMARKET COMPANY THAT IS BETTER?

THANKS A WHOLE LOT FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENCE

CA

[This message has been edited by caa76 (edited 08-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by caa76 (edited 08-01-2000).]

Well caa76, by the way what the caa76 mean?, sounds like you have some money just BURNING in your pocket! But that's great that you want to do more and these trucks CAN do more, scary thought huh? I myself haven't had the time/money/gumption, not necesssarily in that order, to do mods yet. You have done the right first step and started doing research and asking questions and here there really isn't a stupid question just the one you don't ask. I will tell you that even though you may spend a ton of money on the power part you still need the traction end of it covered as well. Roger can testify to that as getting a grip even with drag radials has been difficult. I really think that getting it to the track and seeing how much it does stock will really impress you and try to hone those take-offs first. Taking it to KCIR and getting some time trials would be a good start and don't forget the driver can be the real difference. Now you can also do little things like losing the tailgate or icing the intercooler. Also check out the F150 site for the Lightning section and you can see much more than anyone could dream of that has been done to our L's. I check that site out as much as this one but like this site due to locals being in here. I live in Shawnee and you can see from the sig below what I have so come join us in Sept !
smile.gif

P.S.- I just saw your post about looking for 4.10's and I think that most people have said Ford catalog doesn't have them but I saw Downs Ford advertising them in MM&FF magazine. However I just saw a post today about one guy who got his put in and now has a hard vibration at 90MPH. I have heard most say it depends on who puts them in and most want a tranny shop to do it but this was one and supposed to be one of the best in their area. Roger on the other hand I think hasn't had a problem one. Hope this helps.
Troy

------------------
97 Probe GT- stock

caa76: Yeah Carl, what does caa76 mean anyways? For instance, kcstorm means Mr. Tent <ducking and grinning>...told ya Troy <g>.

Seriously, Troy gave you a pretty good answer on the 4.10's. I absolutely love mine, but they have hurt me (so far) in finding starting line traction. Do a search on 4.10's here on the NLOC bbs and also on F150online.com and you'll have more info than you can shake a stick at. When you're done lemme know if you have any other questions and I'll give you my perspective; although I'm only one owner; other opinions may vary.

TO EVERYONE CONFUSED ABOUT MY NAME, IT IS MY INTIALS AND THE YEAR I WAS BORN. MR. TENT?ANYWAY, I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS,IMAGINE THAT, WHAT MAGAZINE IS MM&FF? HOW DO YOU ICE YOUR INTERCOOLER? IS THE REAR END A GOOD IDEA? WHAT CAN I DO FOR TRACTION? CHANGE TIRES? ANY OTHER BRAND I SHOULD TRY?
THANKS TROY AND ROGER YOU GUYS ARE A GREAT HELP!
CARL

caa76- MM&FF= Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords and don't worry I didn't know what it was either the first time I saw someone use it. Next month's issue,Sept I think, has the ad and also an article about guess what? a 99' Lightning! They are being loaned one to do whatever they want to with it in the way of mods. Talk about creating a Frankenstein! caa76 I would probably leave the 4.10 for last but that's me. I would start with a filter kit, then chip, exhaust, then the gears. I would also mention some chips can be programmed for new shift points so you could get a feel of harder shifts. Weight seems to be a hard choice as it would help on traction but slow down the truck itself so I try to lose weight such as losing the tailgate for a time. Tires is something I haven't looked at much but Roger has tried I think 2 types of drag radials so he could help there. Finally we come to the ice, well for most of us its putting a bag on top of the supercharger, but you need to talk to Roger who can tell you how to take it to a whole new level. I didn't give him the nickname the "iceman" for nothing. He can also show you a little trick to fool the boost shutoff when you take the rev up to high. Well I better stop for now and bottomline enjoy the truck!

Roger- well now I won't bring my toys over next time so hah! I will talk to you in Detroit bud.
wink.gif

------------------
97 Probe GT- stock

KCSTORM HELLO, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP ON THESE QUESTIONS,DO YOU THINK THAT PSP HAS A BETTER CHIP THAN SUPERCHIP? ARE YOU GOING TO KCIR TONIGHT?
ROGER HELLO, I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS FOR YOU. ICEMAN?? WELL, I GUESS WE CAN START WITH ICING YOUR INTERCOOLER, WHAT KIND OF TIRES DO U RECOMMEND? WHAT ABOUT EXHAUST? WHAT IS A GOOD BRAND? DO U HAVE SOMEONE IN TOWN YOU RECOMMEND? HOW MUCH IS IT TO ADD AN EXHAUST SYSTEM?
THANKS AGAIN GUYS

[This message has been edited by caa76 (edited 08-02-2000).]

caa76, I would love to say there is one clear cut winner in the chip war but I can't. The biggest #1 reason is I haven't had any in the truck yet. Consequently don't post this question in the F150 site or else you get the obligatory "do a search" answer and probably get 50 pages of opinions and some BS. In "MY" own and I stress "MY" opinion I am leaning towards PSP for now. Hell I might have to write a 2 page disclaimer after saying that and make sure I show I'm not affilliated with them whatsoever. I hate to pass this off again but Roger would give you a better evaluation since I believe he has tried 2 or 3 chips, I think???? Factors that I have noticed about the chips to look for seem to be #of programs, shift points, and turn around time for new burns. I will say I'm basing most info on what I have read and just the fact more people have expressed info on the PSP than the others, which doesn't mean they're bad but I just haven't seen as much feedback. Therefore time I think would be a factor as PSP was first in the mix to chip the L then Super,Swanson, and Inject the newest. Speaking of time if you need it quick then probably Superchips, conversely, PSP taking the longest. I would email each and get a rundown on each of their chips such as features, specs, and availability and decide for yourself which suits you better. Sorry to straddle the fence but they all look to improve your truck above stock, even though our stock is more on the extreme side eh?
Well caa76 I wish I could have gone but had to work till midnight. I think I will try to go to the Mustang/Ford show this Sat at Metro Ford so stop by. If not then mabey that show in Columbia sounds great or Sept at KCIR.

------------------
97 Probe GT- stock

caa76: Like I mentioned earlier in this same thread; which chip to buy is almost a religious experience. All are most likely pretty close to one another and Jeff S. (our NLOC prez here) is in the process of doing a shootout and results writeup. It may be a good idea to just start socking some $$'s away and hold off for the results.

Another thing to keep in mind is we've got a vehicle that has a blower. Therefore it needs to run just a touch rich to be safe; but running rich doesn't make as much power. Does the chip burner get it too close? Do you get any detonation? Some do, some don't. I've had both Superchips and PSP and haven't seen any detonation from either; but I'm just one person. The well-known companies (top 4 of that earlier message up above this one) will be above board enough to make some changes should you experience some detonation problems.

Some chips are multi-program, some are single. Multi-program means you can change your engine calibration by flipping a switch (btw, some say it's ok to flip it with the engine running--I recommend you shut it off and flip it). If you can get multi-program for the same price my feeling is you are money ahead, but then again, opinions are like...er, you get the idea. Take a look at some dyno plots; look for level lines instead of spikes which will cloud the results. Those in combination with some 1/4 mile times (which should include 60' and weather info) will get you close. Don't worry if it confuses you now, by the time you're done you'll be good at it. Most of us will be happy to help you decipher those if you need it.

Regarding the ice, I'd be happy to fill you in on what I do, but it would be much easier to just show you than to try and describe it here. It's not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination. Just bring a cooler with 3 bags of small-cube ice to the race on Sept 3rd and a 1 gallon empty milk jug with lid. You'll need a pair of regular pliers and that should be it.

Tires; Lightning's have 18" rims. There isn't an 18" drag slick/radial in production that I'm aware of. Therefore, most Gen 2's are running one or the other of these: BF Goodrich Drag Radials; 255x50x16 or Mickey Thompson ET Streets 26x11.50x16, only because these are about the only serious players in a 16". Either or these will need an extra pair of wheels which will add $50-100.00 to the cost. Hoosier makes an 18" in an autocross or roadrace configuration, but this isn't a drag tire as the sidewall will be much stiffer than a drag radial. A good friend of mine has a White 2k and is getting excellent results with the M/T ET Streets (consistent 1.9x 60's with a best of 1.87). He can hold it on the brake to 1500 rpm at the line. If I try that I'm sideways at 1300 rpm. I'd suggest doing what kcstorm said; that is just use your stock F1's until you can get your existing launch down. You should be able to get it down to about 2.0x with some practice. Unless you've got a lot of dragracing experience you'll honestly lose more due to reaction time than with your 60' time. I say that because most newbie's run a 2.1x to 2.3x 60' time but a .8xx to 1.xxx reaction time (with .500 being a perfect light). So you see where you can really whittle the numbers down with just learning the tree. Vern and fiveodrw <sp?> are the ones to talk to about the tree, although I was lucky enough to hit a 5.03 during the FFW last month.

Hope this clarifies things...

[This message has been edited by roger (edited 08-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by roger (edited 08-03-2000).]

roger hello, first thing thanks for all your help with all my questions. i think i am going to wait to the results are complete. when you talk about different programs are all these programs all on one chip? do u switch by a toggle switch? i think im going to order an air intake from psp.
my traction issue, i think im going to go to kcir and get some track time first. is kcir open everyday? do you guys meet every week? let me know when you guys go to kcir again, i like to meet you there.
that whole ice thing, still has me confused,
confused.gif
but ill wait to see it. i think maybe you fill your intercooler with ice, i guess? did you hear about the ford event happening at some ford dealership here in town? i guess im going to need alot of practice to get my 60ft time down to a 2.0. i have NEVER raced at a track before, just on the street, light to light. i guess its time to advance myself to another level
smile.gif
oh i almost forgot to ask you:what is the little trick to fool the boost shutoff when you take the rev up to high?
anyway, thanks agian and ill talk to you guys tomorrow. where is metro ford?

[This message has been edited by caa76 (edited 08-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by caa76 (edited 08-03-2000).]

Back