Any KC Local Know of a Good Rally Point Along I-70?

tliss

Massta Tom
Any KC Local Know of a Good Rally Point Along I-35/I-435/I-470/I-70?

We're coming from the south and might have to wait outside of the city for the entire Texas convoy to catch up. Are there any rest areas or truck stops outside of KC along one of these highways that we could set up as our final rally point before heading into KC and the hotel? We want to come in as one big convoy like last year.

I wonder if we'll get in at the same time as the Illinois/Northern convoy, like last year...:D

Tom

Last edited:
Hmmm...Wichita is about 2.5 hours straight south from Olathe..which you will be going through to get to the track..Is that too far away for you to rally up and drive it on in??
If not I would use one of the rest stops on the turnpike before the Emporia Exit..Emporia is probably 1.5 hours from Olathe..I cant tell you the exact location of the rest stops..But it will be big with Gas Station and restraunt, and have plenty of plenty of parking for you all to gather..and for others to sit outside or inside in the nice mini mall type thing and wait.

There is a rest stop on I-35 between Emporia and Ottawa, which would probably be about 80 miles or so out of Olathe. We'll keep checking to see if we can find a truck stop closer to Olathe, which is just south of the I-35/I-435 interchange.

Alternative to truck stop

Tom, the biggest Hooters restaurant in the KC area is at the Metcalf (Hwy 169) exit on I-435, which you will be going right by. If you're gonna wait for people to catch up, that would be my choice of places to wait! It's in Overland Park, KS at exit 79 on I-435, just before crossing into Missouri (on the north side of I-435)and it'll be about 20-30 minutes from there to the hotel. Close up of Hooters location:

21973-178-18727.gif

Also, when you're coming around the south side of KC on I-435, be very aware of the lane you need to be in for the transition from I-435 to I-470. US 71 also comes in at the same location, and you can easily get stuck in the wrong lane. Just follow the signs to I-470.

The markings are very POOR, slow down and keep an eye pealed for the I-470 sign----Dwight!

This is a comment about I-70 construction from Vern in another post:
I-70 Construction
Just to let everybody know, there is construction on I-70 in the vicinity of the hotel and some of the exits are a little different. The exit no. for the hotel is Exit 17, Little Blue Parkway, you will see it on the north side of I-70 if you are coming from the west.

Coming from the east, you will take exit 17 wayyy before you even see the overpass or the hotel. Just be ready for it.

Also, the exit 17 on-ramp to I-70 westbound from the hotel is closed. But don't worry about getting to the track, you don't have to get on I-70 to get there.

I'll update this as it gets closer.

Thanks for the info guys! :eek:ldtu: That Hooters sounds mighty nice, but it'll be a quick stop to let everyone that is going to catch up do so...a rest area or oasis will be the ticket. We have about 20 or so trucks coming from DFW alone, and I still don't have any confirmed trucks to be picked up along the way, so that may be it. Let me know of anything else you can think of. If not...we may stick with the Hooters. And if any locals want to drive in with us to be a littel more dramitic you are more than welcome!!

Tom

Last edited:
the service areas, i believe, are on the turnpike before you get to emporia. the last one (exit 175) is just a rest area and it's around ottawa ks. about 50 miles south of the metro kc area.
have a great trip up!

Back