Any experience with GMB water pumps?

coopdog123

greased lightning
My cheap *** parts store water pump is leaking between the pump and backing plate, same way the oem pump did. Ive already got a cart built up on summit, so in the interest of some free shipping i figured id go ahead and get a pump from them.

All they've got is this GMB stuff and Milodon, neither of which i have any experience with.

I can speak of GMB, as I have one now. Maybe 2500 miles or so and I just noticed it is starting to weep from the bottom hole. It has worked well, but this is ridiculous. IIRC it has a lifetime warranty, but I will not be putting it on my new motor.

Are you serious? why the hell do they do this? is it cheap casting, they warp?

Is yours leaking from that little hole where the backing plate meets the pump casting, or the weep hole on the shaft?

- - - Updated - - -

that should prob tell me all i need to know Ron

I bought a ford racing for mine from summit. Came with made in China sticker. She never leaked tho.

GMB isn't a very good brand. I used to get timing belt kits that had them and I always wondered how long it would be before I had to warranty the pump. Rock Auto has an Airtex for $20. I've installed lots of them and never had any trouble with them.

i just changed the search criteria, looked for all the pumps for a windsor instead of for a 1994 f150. More options now. Edelbrock, ford, flowkooler.... I have no idea what to get. high flow, standard flow, rebuilt, new....

It depends on which direction you are looking from, but it's opposite the crank rotation. The pulley also has to fit.

Aren't you in the Tulsa area? If so, try Main Auto Parts. They're on 103rd E. Ave just north of 55th. Only parts store in town I trust.

Mine is leaking from the hole on the bottom of the shaft.
Are you serious? why the hell do they do this? is it cheap casting, they warp?

Is yours leaking from that little hole where the backing plate meets the pump casting, or the weep hole on the shaft?

- - - Updated - - -

that should prob tell me all i need to know Ron

I used flowkooler a couple of times years ago and had no issues. Btw Flowkooler and Edelbrock are made in USA.

Last edited:
i just changed the search criteria, looked for all the pumps for a windsor instead of for a 1994 f150. More options now. Edelbrock, ford, flowkooler.... I have no idea what to get. high flow, standard flow, rebuilt, new....

I have a FlowKooler water pump on my 289, very good quality when I installed it in 1998. I repainted it on the motor a few years ago.

When I was running the novi with bigger lower pulley. It had the explorer cover with 95 pump. Aka wrong way. Never had a heating issue. It would cruise with ac goin to. With big inner cooler in front of the grille

Back