Another Twin Turbo Gen1

Its been awhile since i updated this thread.
This project is going backwards. The motor has to come out and needs new rings. The rings got washed out in the process of figuring out the settings with the Pimp and a dual sync dist. I ended up taking the truck to Jeff Sparkmans house. It took a couple weeks for Jeff to figure out the correct settings. But unfortunaly the damage was already done. No compression in all 8 holes.
So the motor will be pulled out, torn down and at the least, re honed and new rings. And anything else thats Fd will be fixed or replaced. After the motor is fixed, itll be going run on an engine dyno to seat the rings. I should have had that done before it was put in the truck.
Oh well, shit happens....

Are you sending it back to Missouri, or having someone local do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you sending it back to Missouri, or having someone local do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was going to send it back to Missouri but Zack knows a shop not to far from me that has a good reputation and has been buying parts from him for a while. 3V Performance. I talked to the owner last week. So ill be driving it up there in a couple weeks.

For the record. This is NOT!! a bash on ZSR!!. Zack has been great, and i wouldnt hesitate buying another motor from him. I F'd this motor up, NOT ZSR.

i had all sorts of issues when i was running my megasquirt with a struckby harness. took all that trash out and put a holley on it i havent had a single issues with the holley other then my iac wiring being backwards. but sorry to hear that about the motor hopefully you can get it fixed easy!

The real issue here was no one seemed to have any good guidance for running the Holley distributor with the MS. It took a bit of digging into the hows and whys of how each of them work to get it to behave properly.

It happens.

I'm perfectly happy with the Stinger computer in my truck and, with the exception of the 3rd gear coast clutch, like its transmission control over the Q4 (which I had in a previous iteration). I've tuned the Holley system as well and it's a fine piece of hardware, too. But, having dealt with installing a standalone EFI a few times in the past, I didn't want that route for my truck.

The real issue here was no one seemed to have any good guidance for running the Holley distributor with the MS. It took a bit of digging into the hows and whys of how each of them work to get it to behave properly.

It happens.

I'm perfectly happy with the Stinger computer in my truck and, with the exception of the 3rd gear coast clutch, like its transmission control over the Q4 (which I had in a previous iteration). I've tuned the Holley system as well and it's a fine piece of hardware, too. But, having dealt with installing a standalone EFI a few times in the past, I didn't want that route for my truck.
to each there own we all have our own preferences i just l like the Holley more after my experience with it i know many guys who have been very fast of the mega-squirt/stinger. but i had bad experience and wont use it again,

to each there own we all have our own preferences i just l like the Holley more after my experience with it i know many guys who have been very fast of the mega-squirt/stinger. but i had bad experience and wont use it again,
Yeppers, either one will do what we need them to do and do it well. Everyone considering something like this should sit down and make a pro and con list and see not only how it accomplishes the job technically, but how comfortable they are with the software, tuning options, price, etc, etc.

Yeppers, either one will do what we need them to do and do it well. Everyone considering something like this should sit down and make a pro and con list and see not only how it accomplishes the job technically, but how comfortable they are with the software, tuning options, price, etc, etc.
exactly in my case i wanted all the input outputs. new harness and the prodash. etc so i went Holley instead of trying to work through the megasquirt issues

I didnt think id run into theses kind of issues based off a dist. I wanted to run the Box R intake originally with a reg dist. Theyre not avaliable for who knows how long. So i bought the Holley HiRam. Well that needs a dual sync because of its size. Only one that fits under the intake. It was down hill from there.

Don't know why it would even need bearings. Clean up hone, new rings, run it in. But I'm sure the builder will check on all of that.

For the record, the motor saw a lot of cranking before we gave it a shot. There are NO clear instructions that we found on how to properly setup the Holley Dual Sync with the MS3. I had to dig around in how both systems work before I was finally able to get the setup to stay synced and show correct spark and timing.

I was so convinced that I had it right, Brett drove back up because I wanted him to be present when it fired. When it didn't start, I went through everything again and then finally checked the compression and did a leakdown test. It was bad news.
What were the compression & leakdown test readings?

What were the compression & leakdown test readings?

I didnt do a leak down Jeff did.
But, i did a lot of compression tests. It would get to about 120psi on the first crank. Thats after adding oil daily through the plug holes, for a week. After the 1st crank attempt it would drop by atleast 30psi each time i would try to crank it.

Dry leakdown was 90% plus. Wet it would get to about 75%. Always the possibility the ring gap is huge, but I'd guess the ring seal just isn't there. My first thought was that the valves were too tight, but all of the top side stuff seemed like it was dead on to me.

Compression was about 30-40 psi. It needs to be consistently above 90 psi for spark ignition to work.

Bit of an update. Pulled the motor and took it to the machine shop. I knew this wasnt going to end as expected when i got a call from the owner and he asks " was this motor underwater?" WTF!! Apparantly the fuel washed any assembly oil and oil off everything and condensation rusted rusted alot!. Needless to say, the only things that werent replaced or machined were the heads and the cam. Everything else was FUBAR...
After the dust settled i asked the shop to run the motor on the dyno. Not looking for hp #s, just want the rings set and a few good heat cycles in it. They said no problem. I picked up the motor and put it all back together, knowing if theres any issues its not the motor.

Got the motor running from a tune Jeff put in it before we found out the motor was trashed. Were still jus tworking on the idle, the truck hasnt moved yet but were going in the right direction!

Bit of an update. Pulled the motor and took it to the machine shop. I knew this wasnt going to end as expected when i got a call from the owner and he asks " was this motor underwater?" WTF!! Apparantly the fuel washed any assembly oil and oil off everything and condensation rusted rusted alot!. Needless to say, the only things that werent replaced or machined were the heads and the cam. Everything else was FUBAR...
After the dust settled i asked the shop to run the motor on the dyno. Not looking for hp #s, just want the rings set and a few good heat cycles in it. They said no problem. I picked up the motor and put it all back together, knowing if theres any issues its not the motor.
man thats a huge bummer but props on staying motivated and getting it fixed up. its all smiles from here.

It will be up and running before you know it. Always the little things you think will work that give you issues.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Back