Aftermarket coil

Skritch

Just experienced my first failure with the MSD coil. Know some have experienced issues with MSD while some have not. I am choosing to move on from MSD. Now wondering what coil others here are using. For the one stocker I have it will get a Motorcraft coil, the other 3 have ignition boxes and superchargers.

Suggestions from all here ?

Scott

I’m using the screamin demon on supercharged truck. Not very many miles with it, but so far so good.

I have the Screaming demon too. It’s made by DUI (Davis unified ignitions)
However I have a MSD too and there’s really no noticeable performance difference.

You have 4 GEN 1 Lightnings??!

Ah......yep an' one of them even has a TKO 600 in it.

9488387259_55cdc1f4ae_b.jpg

12691595945_29e12d7752_b.jpg

Scott

Scott and his wife have an impressive collection of Lightnings!

Thank you Raymond. A standard cab, a SuperCab, a CrewCab, and a 5-speed truck. A yellow cab waiting in the wings and a Gen 2 'cause I love the color True Blue.

Scott

I had an msd that wasn’t too old and it would break up bad as soon as the nitrous hit. Ran fine on motor. Changed a whole bunch of parts over the next few weeks then finally put a used stock coil on and it’s been perfect ever since.

Another vote for screaming demon. Basic 6a style box, firecore 50 wires, and plugs gapped down to .015. that's what I had to do to fire off 20+ psi with E85

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I had an msd that wasn’t too old and it would break up bad as soon as the nitrous hit. Ran fine on motor. Changed a whole bunch of parts over the next few weeks then finally put a used stock coil on and it’s been perfect ever since.

I've burned up two MSD coils. Now have the original coil in place and truck is perfectly happy. MSD=Mostly Shi77y Devices

I’ve never had a problem with MSD.
But I wanted to try something different so..
1f2318db0cd3757ac7469ebcdb61f9ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your replies. Jim, I know you've had problems with MSD, others have too. Some swear by them though, Shaun, I'm with you this time. I have MSD coils on 4 of the trucks, oops make that 3 now. Tossed a used stock one I had laying around and the truck started right up. The MSD coil was on the CrewCab which is every bit a stock engine. Nothing done to it ! That's the first time I've had an issue in over a decade. So, just ordered a DUI Screamin Demon coil to give that a try.

Thinking seriously about heading back to Charlotte in September for the Lightning Meet (some spell it meat) and seeing if the CrewCab can make it 2900 miles. There will be an extra coil in the "trunk" as well as a distributor since I've had an issue with both in previous trips across the nation. Bobby, jeezus I'm not building a serious drag strip contender, its just an ol' stocker that's been stretched out a bit ! Thanks for your input though !!

Scott

You’ll be pretty close to Maryland for Spookfest in October if you go to Charlotte. Wish you could make it there also!

Back