AEM Wideband - A/F Data cable install??

MMShaggy

I'm finally getting around to hooking up my AEM wideband to be able to datalog my A/F ratio with my Xcal2/Laptop.

A few questions:

I cut the female end of the 9 pin connector I got from SCT.
Using a multimeter to figure out which wires are analog 1, analog 2, and ground.

From the back of the AEM wideband I took the red wire and hooked it to a power source, black I grounded.

Now I have a white wire and a blue wire left coming off the wideband.
Are both needed?
Or do I only hook up one to be able to record my data.

In other words, do I just need to hook up just Analog 1 from the Pin connector to say the blue wire? or do I hook both up? Also do I need to ground out the 9 pin connector wire that is coming from the xcal2?

I found this picture along with a few "how to's" but none were very clear....
correctanalog.jpg

Also I've been getting different responses for the formula used to datalog as well.

Is this the one you use?

V*2+10

Thanks.:embar:

Think I got it.
Grounded the wire coming off the 9 pin cable. Hooked up both analog 1 & 2 to two wires on the 9 pin cable I identified with a multimeter.

Off to test it out, looks like its working.....

I wish I could help, but I installed mine over 2 years ago and to make it easier I used a Cat-5 ethernet jack and plug for the installation and removal process.

Rich

I'm doing the same thing with the RJ45 plug and jack to make removing it easier. But before I crimped down the ends of the jacks I'm testing it to make sure it works.

I tried this ratio when I datalog with livelink software for my xcal2

(v*2)+10

Is this the right equation to use for the AEM?

I tested out the formula above and it read a flat 10 on the reads in the datalog. And I know my wideband was not reading close to 10.

So either I have a wire hooked up wrong, which I doubt since I tested the wires with the multimeter and they showed a signal on the two I'm using hooked to the wideband wires.

So the only other thing I can think of is I am using the wrong formula to datalog the analog signal.

I found on another forum this formula they said to use, as the xcal2 has an issues with voltage.
(V*8.68)+10

So I'm off to test this one now...

Last edited:
(v*2)+10 is what I always used. I have not used mine in a while. I will try it when I get home to verify it for you.

Rich

(v*2)+10 is what I always used. I have not used mine in a while. I will try it when I get home to verify it for you.

Rich

Thanks.
Thats what I had read to use from a few forums, but then I saw other sites stating that xcal2's had an issues with voltage, so it was logging the wrong A/F ratio. Thats when I read to use (V*8.68)+10.

But to be honest since I hooked up analog 1 & 2, I tried each formula. One using the v*2 and the other using v*8.68... and neither worked. Both kept reading 10.0 on livelink....

I'm starting to wonder if I have something wired wrong. Not sure how, as there are only 3 wires coming out of the AEM wideband(Analog 1 & 2, and ground), and three wires coming out of the 9 pin cable(Analog 1, 2 & Ground)

Thanks.
Thats what I had read to use from a few forums, but then I saw other sites stating that xcal2's had an issues with voltage, so it was logging the wrong A/F ratio. Thats when I read to use (V*8.68)+10.

But to be honest since I hooked up analog 1 & 2, I tried each formula. One using the v*2 and the other using v*8.68... and neither worked. Both kept reading 10.0 on livelink....

I'm starting to wonder if I have something wired wrong. Not sure how, as there are only 3 wires coming out of the AEM wideband(Analog 1 & 2, and ground), and three wires coming out of the 9 pin cable(Analog 1, 2 & Ground)

When I first installed mine, I had it wired incorrectly also. The 9 pin din cable had me all confused. I think the diagram was incorrect that I was working off of also. Like I said, I will try it when I get home and post it up for you.

Rich

Thanks Rich, really appreciate it. Your the first and only person to respond to any of my posts on any of the forums.

I guess you and I are the only two Lightning owners who actually are taking full advantage of the capabilitys of the AEM Wideband gauge.

I decided not to follow the pin out docuementation either. I just hooked up the 9 pin to the XCal 2 and then used a multimeter to determine which were the two cables showing any amount of voltage. All the other cables showed near to nothing for voltage, so I used the two that got a signal as the analog lines, hmmm wonder if maybe I have the ground cable wrong, now that I think of it, I never did test that wire, just assumed black was ground......

O.K got it all working.

For someone elses future reference, when hooking up the AEM wideband to datalog...

Coming off the AEM gauge is a white wire and a blue wire.
I'm using only the white wire.
Take the white wire and connect that to the gray wire coming off the 9 pin cable.
Then take the brown wire and the shielding wire from the 9 pin cable and ground that to the body.

Thats it, your done.
Plug the 9 pin cable into your xcal2
Plug your xcal2 into your laptop and odbc port.
Open up livelink on your laptop
Configure analog2 with a formula of (v*2)+10
And your now datalogging your A/F ratio.

I just finished testing all of this and it seems the formula might be a bit off as the datalog is showing about a .4 higher A/F than the actual gauge.

Off to play around with the formula and I'll post up if I find a solution.

Glad you figured it out. I came home and tried my laptop to find out that I have a driver problem with SCT and the operating system on my computer. Then had to take the kids to wrestling practice, so I just got home. Good info for me though. Again glad you got it working.

Rich

Actually I have one more thing to add.
I noticed what I was datalogging was not right, it was datalogging actually .4-.6 higher than what the actual A/F gauge was showing.

So I changed the formula to (v*2)+9.75

and now its dead on the money.

Hope this helps someone else out in the future.

It's a great feature and most oviously are not taking advatage of the full capability of the AEM wideband.

Back