About to order Exhaust

djten4

hi this is my first post and i am about to buy an exhaust system. i was thinking the magna flow 1 3/4 with cats, but i was wondering what the air pump was, and if i needed it. i have a 93L with a powerdyne bd10. i have a bassani cat back, but i would be taking that off for your full system. i live in CA and was wondering if with cats the truck would still pass smog? thanks for all the help, i cant wait to let my truck breath freely.

Roger

Hi Roger,

You will need the air pump provisions if the stock air pump is still on the truck... Probably is if you live in Cali... have a look, It is mounted under the alternater...

It should paas a sniffer test but I do not have a CARB exemption number so depending on who is checking the truck it may or may not be a problem...

djten4 said:
i live in CA
there emission regulations are strict compared to oklahoma (can go no smog & no cats :chacha: ) You will need to leave the smog eqip. on as well as the cats.

ya smog checks suck, why would someone take off the stock air pump, i still dont really understand what it does. and if my exhaust is stock except for the cat back then i probably have it on as well, right?

djten4 said:
why would someone take off the stock air pump, i still dont really understand what it does. and if my exhaust is stock except for the cat back then i probably have it on as well, right?
The air pump is for the cats, it circulates air through them to keep them from over heating. If you need to keep the stock cats on then you need the smog/air pump. Its a package deal.

and if i put high flow cats on like the manga flow, then will i need to keep the air pump as well. do you recommend keeping it and making provisions for the air pump on my new exhaust

my system with cats does not require the air pump so you can get rid of it if you like, However if you are in Cali you are going to have it place and you still might have probelms with my system due to not having a CARB # even though it would blow clean enough to pass a sniffer test... I feel for you guys out in Cali... The way they go about this emissions stuff is crazy!

Back