96 f150 Pic request!!

stockr

#$@%^&!!!
hey fellaz im. well im in need of some pics of the engine bay on a 96 f150 obd 2

i purchased a 96 f150 ob2 wiring harness from a member and i have installed it in my 93 bronco. .. i changed out the dash and engine harness..but couple of plugs where missing so i used a spare harness to complete.

there was obviously some changes in sensors which i think i got most covered. i know for sure im missing the one that goes where map sensor goes on 93.

these are the codes i have
p1401-differential pressure egr(i dont have egr connected)
p0155-02 bank 2 sensor 1(is this the green harness connector my battery?)
p0135-01 bank 1 sensor 1(how many sensors does 96 have)
p1351-ignition diagnostic monitor(would this be the ignition control module? )
p0755-shift solenoid b(trans came out of a 95f150 with no codes)
p0708-transmission range sensor circuit high input(not sure??)

any info will be great!!!
eddie

Where do you need pics of exactly? I can go out on my break and snap some.

As for "(how many o2 sensors does 96 have)" its 3, 2 upstream and 1 downstream.

The p0155-02 bank 2 sensor 1 that should be the o2 sensor on the drivers side, the sensor is loomed in with the fuel injector wiring and should exit behind the intake manifold right around the coil pack.

Bank 1 sensor 1 should be on the passenger side and come out of the same harness as the bank 2 but it will come out on the other side of the engine around cylinder 4. They are a green connector.

The biggest differences between OBDI and OBDII are that II is required to monitor catalysts efficiency and misfire status and that it actively tests systems. The trans codes are probably because the trans is a different model between the two or there was a pin change in the wiring. Another OBDII anomaly is that they play by two different sets of codes. There are generic OBDII codes, and there are manufacturer specific codes. You can tell the difference by the number. If it starts with 0 it is generic and if it starts with 1 it is manufacturer specific. You have a P1401, which is specific. A P0401 would be the generic version. This may or may not be important in your case, but it can be if you have a code that doesn't meet the requirements to set in OBDII, but that the manufacturer thought the requirements should be more strict on.

The DPFE code is because your EGR isn't connected. It is looking for a DPFE sensor and can't find one.

The O2 codes are likely there because it is searching for 3 sensors and you only have 1 hooked up. To monitor catalyst efficiency, OBSII uses two O2 sensors on each bank. The upstream sensors (O2B1S1, O2B2S1) monitor the fuel mixture by switching back and forth between 0 and 1 volt. The downstream sensor(s) (O2B1S2, O2B2S2) monitor catalyst function by not switching. If the downstream sensors start reading the same as the upstream sensors, the PCM knows the cats aren't working. Most two bank engines use 4 sensors instead of 3.

I expect the ignition diagnostic monitor code is because it's searching for a crankshaft position sensor and can't find it. This is what it uses to monitor misfires. If a cylinder misfires, the crank speed changes slightly and is read by this sensor.

Where do you need pics of exactly? I can go out on my break and snap some.

As for "(how many o2 sensors does 96 have)" its 3, 2 upstream and 1 downstream.

great.. thanks for the info.. I wasn't too sure .. what I need to know is where the o2 sensor harness hook up.. so pictures of that would be great. im definetly missing the o2 harness so im going to either look for a complete one or make one from the spare harness that I have. so if you don't mind added the wire colors that match the 02 harness.

there is a green 4 wire plug by my battery that is not connected right now that looks like its for 02s.. if so what one goes to passenger side 02 or does it spilt to both banks? that harness wires are Red(16g) Red/yellow stripe(18g) Gray/blue stripe(18g) Gray/red stripe(18g)

The biggest differences between OBDI and OBDII are that II is required to monitor catalysts efficiency and misfire status and that it actively tests systems. The trans codes are probably because the trans is a different model between the two or there was a pin change in the wiring. Another OBDII anomaly is that they play by two different sets of codes. There are generic OBDII codes, and there are manufacturer specific codes. You can tell the difference by the number. If it starts with 0 it is generic and if it starts with 1 it is manufacturer specific. You have a P1401, which is specific. A P0401 would be the generic version. This may or may not be important in your case, but it can be if you have a code that doesn't meet the requirements to set in OBDII, but that the manufacturer thought the requirements should be more strict on.

The DPFE code is because your EGR isn't connected. It is looking for a DPFE sensor and can't find one.

The O2 codes are likely there because it is searching for 3 sensors and you only have 1 hooked up. To monitor catalyst efficiency, OBSII uses two O2 sensors on each bank. The upstream sensors (O2B1S1, O2B2S1) monitor the fuel mixture by switching back and forth between 0 and 1 volt. The downstream sensor(s) (O2B1S2, O2B2S2) monitor catalyst function by not switching. If the downstream sensors start reading the same as the upstream sensors, the PCM knows the cats aren't working. Most two bank engines use 4 sensors instead of 3.

I expect the ignition diagnostic monitor code is because it's searching for a crankshaft position sensor and can't find it. This is what it uses to monitor misfires. If a cylinder misfires, the crank speed changes slightly and is read by this sensor.

took a while to digest all that good info.. thanks again..
yea Im gonna im looking for schematics right now.. as far as crank sensor I made sure that it was connected. but what I have read is that 96s need a black control module vs the gray that is used in all previous models.. what the difference is im not sure off the top of my head..
eventually I will be adding a tune so im not too concerned about egr and rear o2s since I can get those removed with tune but I do wanna get the main o2 sensors up to par. I thought I was going to dodge a bullet by using an sct4 that I removed from one of my other projects but for some reason it wouldn't pic up the computer which suxs.. cause I was hoping to turn the egr/o2s with that. I will keep digging around

So I had to extended my harness to move my o2 sensors back for the long tube headers. I can't get a good look at the colors of the wires but maybe you can make them out in these pics.

This is bank 1 on the passenger side from the top of the engine, it's hard to tell from here but it goes into the main engine harness right there next to the valve cover.

This is the same one from the bottom side, the yellow wires are what I added in to extended them, follow the yellow up and you can see where it goes into the main engine harness.

This is bank 2 drivers side from the top.
It goes into the main harness right there under the fuel lines.

This is that same one from the underside.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope that helps!!

It sure does... the top engine harness that I have is not like that.. but I do have a spare harness that looks like yours.. I will swap that..
Do u have a green connector by your battery? If so can u snap pics of it.. I do but I'm not sure what it goes connected to

Back