94 Lightning Troubles Cranking.

jjltthomas

I have just bought my first Gen 1 truck and I absolutely love it. But...... after a week of ownership I have a gremlin. First turn of the switch in the morning truck fires off and runs like a dream. But as the day goes on you have to hold the switch on and sometimes pat the gas to fire off. Any clues what I should do? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of mods does the truck have?

Have you checked the basics, like fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc?

It has Magnaflow exhaust system, headers,and a shift kit. That’s about it. No cats at all. Everything on the ignition is new except the TFI module. Haven’t checked fuel filter. I will do that next. It’s just strange. Cold start it hits first click of the switch. After that, you will have to let starter wiz over and pat the gas. If it sits a couple hours and cools off. It will hit on first turn again. Will change fuel filter tomorrow.

Oh, previous owner did put a new roller short block in. And has been mass air converted.

Yeah, I got to watching and reading a lot last night on what is the most likely candidate that causes this. Most people have found that it is a faulty temperature sensor. Going to try that first. It’s $17 so wouldn’t hurt.

If that doesn’t work, the Ignition modules have been known to show intermittent issues with heat when they get over 100kmi. Once they cool off they work fine until they heat up again.

Yeah I had a trip module that did that too me. Also had the rotor fall apart under the distributor cap which was crazy.

Back