'93 Lightning with erratic idle...

M

Mod281V8

My friend just bought a '93 Lightning (#1172) with 86,000 miles and he has done a complete tune up on it in an attempt to fix a vibration that seemed to be a miss. He changed the cap and rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, and advanced the timing to 12 degrees. The vibration is still there. We checked for vacuum leaks, that's not the problem. Besides buying a whole new distributor what else could this problem and how can it be cured. Hopefully you Lightning gurus have the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance...

Try checking the fan sometimes they can cause a vibration.Maybe someone else will have another Idea.

------------------
Marcus Harrison
95Lightning
NLOC#495
TeamPowerdyne

The vibration could be caused by the fan kicking on? I haven't bothered to look to see if the vibration only occurs when the fan is on or off.

I can tell you this though, the truck runs great everywhere except at idle. But at idle, you can actually watch the engine wiggle bath and forth a good bit...from time ot time. Moreso than the norm...it seems to have a nice little miss. But with everything he's done I don't see how it could have a miss.

Anyone else have any ideas I can relay back to him?

Mod (I assume your a Mustang guy), have you guys tested the igniton "box", or looked to the fuel side of things (filter, regulator, etc)? What about things like TPS voltage, IAB, etc?

Actually, I'm just a Ford guy, but I drive a 4.6L TBird.

Yeah, we've suspected a couple of things such as the idle air control valve, clogged needle valve in the TB, and I was thinking of the fuel filter. I guess this is going to be one of those trial and error things. Always a pain in the ass...

Not sure how to check the ignition box?

Just came here hoping someone had dealt with a similar problem in thier first gen. Lightning and knew the cure for sure...always looking for that "easy" fix.

Back