6.0 Procharged Denali Truck Begging to Race

I do not think the Denali drive train could handle 500 plus under real world race stress. I had a Yukon Denali for five years as a family ride. Thought about putting a PRO CHARGER on it but with out the work to the AWD well you guys know what would happen. So I think after a couple of passes that beast would break and die PICKUP or SUV its still 5200 to 6000 lbs. The L would live on to fight another day+. TIM I dig your site a lot of good info. Thanks Ron

thefingernoob.jpg
.........F---king idiot

T-Shirt-Next-on-the-Banned-List-789.jpg

If I can get that number, I can get high, high 12's, I have no doubt, and my point will be proven. If I have to start with 14's, then I will have alot more work to do. We shall see on Friday, Midnight maddness @ Gateway International.

Absolutly nothing was learned by going to the track, the guy bringing the drag slicks failed to show, leaving us to work out ways to get the ToYo's to stick, after four try's with no improvmnets, there was no need to play with settings or tunes as we could not get around the water box, or get the tires to warm up enough to stick, spent the first 160 feet pissing away both HP and rubber and posted standard 13.5's and higher. Next month we will be a lot more ready, but I was glad to get this one out of the way.

In a way I was glad for the lower numbers, gateways rules are stricter than I realized and they almost did not let us go at all.

I don't recall what your trap speeds were, but I don't remember seeing any Lightnings that posted better than 105mph. :? You DON'T need a fire jacket, unless you've got an aftermarket supercharger, nitrous or turbo. You don't need a cage for your ETs. The rules at Gateway are the same at any other track.

Stop trying to do a burnout on street radials, you're just making them worse. A quick turn to clean off the rocks and water would suffice.

Midnight Madness was an embarrasment for Lightnings. 2 of the 3 Lightnings I saw were stuck in the 14s :sigh:

Absolutly nothing was learned by going to the track, the guy bringing the drag slicks failed to show, leaving us to work out ways to get the ToYo's to stick, after four try's with no improvmnets, there was no need to play with settings or tunes as we could not get around the water box, or get the tires to warm up enough to stick, spent the first 160 feet pissing away both HP and rubber and posted standard 13.5's and higher. Next month we will be a lot more ready, but I was glad to get this one out of the way.

In a way I was glad for the lower numbers, gateways rules are stricter than I realized and they almost did not let us go at all.

Full length pants, shoes and socks are required

Helmets are required if you run under 14 seconds in the quarter mile. (snell 2000 or SFI 41.1A min )

Driver Fire Jacket for all drivers in cars quicker than 12 seconds in the quarter mile

Passengers allowed in cars slower than 14 seconds in the quarter mile. Passenger must wear helmet, full length pants, shoes, and socks.

Roll Bar in all cars quicker than 11.49 in quarter mile

Roll Cage in all cars quicker than 10.99 in quarter mile

Well, sometimes things don't go as planned. Nonetheless, I suspect if your L is fairly stock most of the above regulations will not apply even with shift point optimization. I assume by now you have clothed yourself in a Fire Jacket. Good luck in the fall!

Stop trying to do a burnout on street radials, you're just making them worse. A quick turn to clean off the rocks and water would suffice.

Midnight Madness was an embarrasment for Lightnings. 2 of the 3 Lightnings I saw were stuck in the 14s :sigh:

I was one there, the others left after their first posts, I guess they knew when to quit. My first down was good, and down hill from there. All 14's from there on. The dam waterbox was so large we could not get around it, so wet tires have to be burned off, more than Lightnings were embassing themselves, guys in the 12's normal were posting 14's. Everyone was pissed about the water box, and they kept dumping it on, even when you requested them not to. The track got worse after the guy blew up and dumped oil onto it, after the forth try we moved on. I have ran many cars down those lanes, and I have never seen such a difference in behavior from street to track. The truck does worlds different on the street and I believe thats where we will keep it, I will run in the fall, but it WILL be on drag meats, you can not hook up otherwise.

I was one there, the others left after their first posts, I guess they knew when to quit. My first down was good, and down hill from there. All 14's from there on. The dam waterbox was so large we could not get around it, so wet tires have to be burned off, more than Lightnings were embassing themselves, guys in the 12's normal were posting 14's. Everyone was pissed about the water box, and they kept dumping it on, even when you requested them not to. The track got worse after the guy blew up and dumped oil onto it, after the forth try we moved on. I have ran many cars down those lanes, and I have never seen such a difference in behavior from street to track. The truck does worlds different on the street and I believe thats where we will keep it, I will run in the fall, but it WILL be on drag meats, you can not hook up otherwise.

I didn't mph on any of those 14 sec Lightnings that were good for 12s. Also helps to make sure they disconnect the boost-bypass connection so when you're spinning that first 100', you don't hit the rev limiter and cause the bypass to dump boost (possible reason for the poor mph).

No matter how much you're spinning at first, you should still mph at the end (unless you're spinning more than the first 330 - 1/8th mile).

The weather was cool enough for good mph. :headscratch:

I wasn't there Fri but I know the track prep has sucked the last couple times I did go. I'm surprised they haven't yelled at me for not having a helmet when I ran my 13.4.

Thanks for the info STL. I'll be looking forward to the final results!

So have you raced him yet Pedass? I'm curious to know the results with your truck being stock. I'd kinda feel sorry for the guy if you do beat him, all the time and money into it and think its fast to have your ( )( ) handed to you

Last edited:
Not yet, I've since purchased a JLP Clean Air Intake, 4 lb lower pulley, and TR6 Plugs. After my bills are paid friday, hopefully I can finish by ordering my programmer and traction bars. From what everyone has told me, this will make a substantial difference. I may still get beat, but at least I'll be a little bit more prepared.

I'll keep you posted!

Would someone mind linking me some pulleys?

Also, how do I find out the closest place to Central Arkansas for a tune, and then what exactly do I ask for?

Thanks,

Mickey

Call Linn and Rick at Amazon, they are a vendor here.There is nothing here in Arkansas. I do all my tuning with them, they can usually have you set up the same day if you have a sct or diablo. If not, they can get you a tuner and a 6lb lower. There is also a place in Memphis but i don't know much about them. I'd stay away from him till I got those goods.

RyanR

Adjusting the shift points really does help a lot.
My built motor with ported heads and comp *stage 2* cams gained 2 mph and dropped .3 sec in the quarter by DROPPING the shift points from 5800 to 5400 rpms. If someone thinks that spinning the stock heads and cams past 5200 is beneficial, I urge them to go to the track and test that theory.
i will be going back to my tuner soon for a re-tune since ive added a trq. converter and will talk to him about this also since my truck is shifting around 5800 to 6000rpm right now.

HEY!!!!! That's freakin awesome. Yeah I woulda had ya if I didn't go sideways. We really need a rematch.

Anytime.

But please back me up when I said I had nothing, I really had nothing, you saw the truck.

evo said:
What was your 1/8 mi time?

I will post my slip when I can get it scanned in, and dark enough for all to read, their printer was low on ink and it's real light.

Last edited:
Anytime.

But please back me up when I said I had nothing, I really had nothing, you saw the truck.

I will post my slip when I can get it scanned in, and dark enough for all to read, there printer was low and ink and it's real light.

Oh I know there isn't much done to the truck. Looked like a 4#, exhaust, programmer, and a CAI and that's it.

Oh I know there isn't much done to the truck. Looked like a 4#, exhaust, programmer, and a CAI and that's it.
What really embaresses me is that you had to point out the 4#, and we did not know how to even use the dam SCT, had to ask how we could get off the 91 octane setting, and the exhaust is mostly rusted off. The only work I can attest to is the tranny rebuild. Thats it. and I got 13.1. I can get 12's easy being that close. So I feel fully vindicated.

slip.....I'm on the right....

DSC00090.jpg

Last edited:
Back