6.0 Procharged Denali Truck Begging to Race

has anyone thought that this guy is full of crap? he may be telling all the stuff he has done, but how many times have you raced somebody and they ask you the " what you got" question and your answer is " nothiin"? i have.
if he has a procharger--you will know it immediately when he cranks up. listen for a loud squeaky noise. if he has the cams you should be able to tell that too. the stock exhaust is the odd thing here. if i just spent the money for all this work i do think i would have got headers and supporting exhaust from there back. maybe he is trying to hide the sounds or something, but it sounds weird to me. the guy may be full of crap to scare you and thejm make fun of you to everybody around town. just go line them up and run. depending upon the results, go from there. he may back down if you go to him real hard.

ooo yea, stloa--you go change your shift points and you and tim meet up and run. i think tim has been around few days longer and may have some stuff, bu not the dreaded shift point change as it is a new thought, but i think it will be a close race

I am in NO way saying changing the shift points is the end all be all answer for power, and I have no idea how that came acrossed as such.

You don't? Maybe it was comments like these:

pass on all the pulleys and crap, change the shift points in the tranny, it will win races.

what has gotten my biggest reduction in ET's was tranny work.

The idea that merely changing the shift points on a stock truck will do more for reducing ET than a pulley and tune is silliness. Stock trucks make peak horsepower and torque very early. You may gain a little, but there's really no need to wind them up. Heavily modded trucks with free flowing heads, bigger cams, and larger aftermarket blowers and turbos may need to be wound up further but stock trucks don't.

But hey what do I know, I've only been messing with these trucks for 10 years.

i'm sure we have different tuners but man 5700 WOW boom is the 1st thing that comes to mind.But i agree it's not worth much.All my tunes which 3 different tuners and about 12 tunes the highest ive ever ran was 5300.But like i said before the lung in the eaton has deflated by that point unless the motor is built imo.Plus i believe sloa the op has an 03 which has 3:73 instaed of 3:55's which also helped the 01+'s L

I have run those shift points for the last 80,000 miles, I selected the shift points after back to back testing at the track. The truck now has 109,000 miles and is doing great. I will admit that I now need to drop shift rpm 200-300 rpm now since valve springs are showing signs of getting tired.

Rule of thumb is shoft point should be 10% past peak power which for stock cammed L is 4950 rpm + 500+ 5460 rpm. I went a little higher because of big rpm drop due to wide gear spacing. So the same gains on my other L when it still had a stock short block. With built long block I raised shift rpm another 100 rpms and went through traps at 5,700 rpm for a while before going to 30" tires. On built motor my rev limiter was set at 6,500 rpm and hit it many times when the truck would blow off the tires. IMHO, detonation blows motors more often than rpm.

Guys I have to admit, he is right about the shift points. I only have a CAI and exhaust and was running 13's. After I changed the shift points I am running 10's easy and gained an extra 120hp. It's crazy what a little tranny work will do.

You don't? Maybe it was comments like these:

The idea that merely changing the shift points on a stock truck will do more for reducing ET than a pulley and tune is silliness. Stock trucks make peak horsepower and torque very early. You may gain a little, but there's really no need to wind them up. Heavily modded trucks with free flowing heads, bigger cams, and larger aftermarket blowers and turbos may need to be wound up further but stock trucks don't.

But hey what do I know, I've only been messing with these trucks for 10 years.

Thats not what I said at all, I said he has never ran this guy, and if he wanted to get the most out of what he has right now, for me (my two cents) staying in the powerband longer would allow him to get more off the line and get ahead early. The guys on here saying they have gotten little to nothing by playing with the shift points and holding out gear longer, are doing it wrong, like other have said in this thread there are improvments to be made in more than just the motor. When I look at the problem this guy has with this race, the AWD will be the factor, allowing the larger truck to hole shot him.

If he can hook up, and get out ahead, I have pure faith he will own this truck.

I don't care if you have been working on these trucks your whole life, cars are cars, and the next inovation can come from anywhere, and break all the old (been there, done that) mentalities.

How many of you have eaten your words after saying "their is no replacement for displacement" and had your arse handed to you by some random 4 cycl import? Like it or not the next run of sports car will be doing it with fuel efficent 4 bangers and high revving RPM's.

The lightning has more in her than just brute force, she can run the revs and survive, mine does it everyday. It's my job to squeeze out every drop of potential she has, and at all costs.

so i havent been on in a while and i see this awesome debate going on so i figure i'll throw my :2cents:

first off... what are you smoking? cause i would like some. i mean really... who do you think you are? you have 22 posts and your gonna talk to Tim that way? that man knows more about these truck than you can imagine. you need just need to sit in a corner and shut up and color. :nono:

second... when you joined this site you joined the wiki-friggin-pedia for the Lightning. this place is home to the fastest trucks in the world. the knowledge here is endless.

third... if you look around this site and you couldnt learn anything, then i'm sorry but you shouldnt own an L. all you have to do is use the search button. if you some how still cant find what you are looking for, post your question. it will get answered.

i didnt know anything about these trucks when i got here. i lurked for a while and searched my questions. once all that was done i started asking questions...alot. when i blew my headgasket i had no doubt that, with the help from these guys and the how-to's that they made, i would be able to do it by myself. and i did.

sorry for the rant and the long post, its just when someone that just joined the site comes in and disrespects one of the most knowledgable people on the board it pisses me off. your just an ignorant lil f@ck that got a supercharged truck and thinks he's the sh!t. i'm sorry..your not. if having higher shift points make you think your truck is stupid fast, enjoy those rpms. the part i will enjoy is when you join the vented block club, and then comin on here asking for help. to everyone else. you guys are awesome. your help and knowledge has been priceless.:eek:ldtu:

Dang, here I went and blew 20k on my built motor setup when I could have gone with a Civic VTEC with the correct shift points. I just don't see an easy way to bolt the VTEC up to the 4R100. I know I wasn't paying attention when I decided to go built cause a couple of years ago someone posted up a video of a 9 sec Geo and IIRC the shift points were something to behold. Unfortunately, I did not see the potential of this technological innovation for my L and I foolishly squandered my loot on building my engine and buying a Whipple. Yes, I know I'm a "no replacement for displacement" guy. Mostly, it's a sound thing, big blocks are where it's at, 4 cylinders are generally annoying. OK, I know I'm shallow.

My first time at the track I made 12.88 sec in the 1/4 and it is true a shift point sucks, but the shift point in question is the one involving eye to foot reaction time.

stloa, Please post up your time slips and of course your shift points and other mods from your Friday track times for our edification.

Whew! Didn't mean to start all this!

Thanks to everyone for you input, and I do mean everyone.

First off, I have grown up around old school hot rods my whole life, so the lightning is a new animal for me. THAT is why I chose this forum. I was told it was a great family atmosphere and I could get an answer to pretty much any question I had.

I'm not scared of losing a race. I've lost my fair share of them. I've never raced at a track, pretty much just street raced.

I should have added that I have seen this truck and listened to it. It is definitely a procharger and definitely cammed. He's a friend, so I believe what he's told me.

Also, my lightning is my daily driver so I can't go too far with modding it. I drive it about 25 miles a day, to and from work, and usually joy ride in the afternoons. I don't have a disposable income, but I have enough money to treat myself from time to time. I'd just like to get a few mods that will give me the most from my truck without going too crazy.

Thanks for the link on the upgrade package. A fellow lightning owner has offered to sell me his 4lb pulley for $50 bucks. He has also suggested "Dyno Speed" out of Memphis for a true tune.

Does the CAI really make that much of a difference?

Once again thanks to all for the input!

First I saw newb boy get on Tim and I as like :hh::pat::screwy::no:

Then he kept on about shift points and I was like :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And then he said something about a honda and I was like :laughing6::laughing6::laughing6::laughing6::laughing6:

I like the new guy. He's very entertaining.

1999, 2000 and 2001 Ford F-150 Lightning FAQ

I guess Tim was right I needed to go where people spoke my kinda genuis.

Please note the extensive section on the tranny, gear options, and something I have never seen or heard of from "Gear Vendors" where you can make 4.10 gears "streetable".

BTW, keep the 30 bucks for joining, it was a small price to pay to see how "warm" the reception was.

1999, 2000 and 2001 Ford F-150 Lightning FAQ

I guess Tim was right I needed to go where people spoke my kinda genuis.

Please note the extensive section on the tranny, gear options, and something I have never seen or heard of from "Gear Vendors" where you can make 4.10 gears "streetable".

BTW, keep the 30 bucks for joining, it was a small price to pay to see how "warm" the reception was.

"Please note" that just about everyone here except you has already read this information, and many of us actually contributed to it.

Gearing has been discussed here -- hundreds of times.

Shift points and rev limits have been discussed here -- hundreds of times. Raising either is a particularly dangerous thing on a long-stroke 5.4, because con rod loads are highest on the exhaust stroke, and our rods are the most fragile point of the engine. And the factory Eaton is already overspun at the stock rev limit. But you already knew these things, I'm sure.

Gear Vendors' Overdrive is old news. It's a very cool product, but hardly news, as shown by this 2003 post.

If you had bothered to browse around for a while, you would have realized these things before you came here spouting the Gospel according to stloa

Your reception was not warm because you have acted like a world-class jerk. I have seen all kinds of stupid behavior tolerated on these boards. But arrogance is usually not well received on any board -- especially from someone who has not been around long enough to have any credibility.

In defense.. you did say that changing shift points was some hidden trick to "win races".. then when we called you out on it you got defensive.. and then you start babbling off on common MAINTENANCE (tires, fluids, brakes, etc) as if they count towards "thousands of dollars" worth of mods.. You should have just taken it lightly and explained further.. or just listened to those who have already "been there.. done that" :gl: :eek:ldtu:

TIM!!! dude calm down this cat is most likely on a 3rd grade reading level so even if you do make a point he wont get it. Oh is that really you in the avatar? if so "hatters are gonna hate"

To said ratard ummm yea dude I changed the shift points on my truck and took it from a 12.75@105 to a whopping 8.30@600mph it was wild as hell, i could not keep the front wheels on the ground and the tires spun the whole time.

LESSON LEARNED? - When posting on a TECH site ensure that you are seriously the **** before posting something because someone might know more than you, so you better be able to back it up with some real data. If you wanted to suggest changing the shift points that is cool but you would work it like "OP you could possible consider playing with the **** points and what not if you are going to be on the street, maybe it can yield a good result" OR " I messed with my shift points and found a .010 increase in my runs which is worth it to me, but this is on my truck and where I live results may differ" good luck deuchfag much love for you :heart:

. . . Oh is that really you in the avatar? . . .

Nope. That's The Archbishop Don "Magic" Juan, the greatest pimp of all time.

437364_f520.jpg

I am just now stumbling across this thread. :D thanks for the chuckles.

I think my first thought when he said to raise the shift point up was, "isn't higher RPM one of the things our stock rods DONT like????" But I'm just a noob who reads too much, so wtf do I know :rolleyes:

O, and someone was asking about how much power a centrifugal blower can add: my 302 (in my cobra) has the typical 'bolt ons,' i.e. TW heads, cam (.535/.544, 224/232, 112LSA), etc etc, but it is still the stock pistons, crank, etc. N/A it puts down 305rwhp (was not tuned, just curious n/a, and the MSD was breaking up above 5800rpm so the max power was at 5800rpm ... after fixing the MSD it pulls all the way to 6200 where I have the limiter set). With a Vortech S-trim running 8psi on the same combo it jumps to 474rwhp (tuned, MSD working right duh .... sold the Vortech... now I am looking at a turbo kit). The Procharger is probably a P1SC or D1SC and is more comparable to a T-trim Vortech. They have rating of 850hp max (for whatever that rating is worth .... I don't know what the actual CFM rating is) on the Procharger website. I am not really sure what kind of power loss you would actually see through the AWD drivetrain I have no experience with that. What I can say is that the 6.0L has great flowing heads (they are awesome ported ... my friend's Corvette with the 6.0L heads (L98 is the nomenclature???) with a home port job put down ~460rwhp with a mildish cam iirc). Sooo, I would think that the engine N/A 'might' make around 400rwhp in a RWD platform ... throw in a little 'safe' boost and it could easily be 500+rwhp in a RWD platform (I dunno what it would do in the AWD).

While the Denali is most definitely a pig (it is a vehicle that actually gets worse gas mileage than our trucks!), I'd look for some more power if you want to ensure a victory!

JM2CW :frog:

ok wow, i just sat down and read all 4 pages of this thread and i think that everyone will agree that stloa needs to stop talking, period! i only kept reading to see how much more of an *** you were gonna make yourself out to be...you really went the extra step!

to the OP
while back my buddy had a truck with same mods but stock heads/cam and his was 2wd, ran real strong at the track and horribly on the street....it'll be a long shot for a stock L without simple tranny work :D but you never know...

Back