5.0 to 5.8L Swap Questions

Toplait

Greetings Folks,

My truck currently has the stock 5.0L engine, Speed Density, E4od Tranny. It's old. 300k miles! I still use it as a daily driver but it needs some refreshing. This is my wish list and hopefully after a few more pay checks some of it might start coming true.

I been doing some pricing on parts needed for a 5.8L swap. I been looking at Mabbco Motors re-manufactured Engines for part of my swap.

I can not decide on which block to order. The Gen 1 ford lightning or the 94-97 roller block. Also, there are options to choose from such as Flat Top pistons, Moly rings ect... Any recommendations there? Should I get a short block and go from there?

I also need parts such as:

164 tooth 28 oz E4OD flexplate. Any recommendations, stock? Aftermarket?
28oz Harmonic Balancer....
5.8L Distributor

The item I am really having trouble deciding on getting is the intake manifold. I know the stock 5.8L truck intake manifold is not the greatest do to the restriction choke point. SO.....this is what I want to do and could use some more advice.

I want to use a single throttle body design intake manifold similar to the 93-95 Lightning. Although, It is nearly impossible to find a lightning intake manifold that is not going to break the bank account. Any advice there on which intake manifold to get?

Also, the throttle body? Which one?
Will the factory 5.0 f150 twin "Throttle body cable" work? I have a single cable hooking to the factory 5.0 twin throttle body at this time. I removed all the cruise control and replaced the double cable design with a single cable. If pictures are needed just ask.

Exhaust: I live in a rural area: no smog inspection ect...

Y-pipe is gonna go bye bye. I am using a Bassani Y-pipe and I can never completely seal the exhaust leaks. I want to get rid of that. No point in trying to widen it when its been a fire ant crawling up my pants.

I currently have 13 year old Pace Setter Shorty headers. They will be replaced with long tube headers. I want to run equal length straight pipes and have mufflers that dump behind the cab. The oxygen sensor will be placed in the passenger side header. The front fuel tank has been removed so there should be no issues. Unless you guys think there will be a performance loss with that setup?

So, all these issues have been going through my head day after day and I know you guys love doing this type of stuff probably as much as I do.

What would you do is the question I ask?

You left out the most important piece of information: what is your goal? And I'm talking more specific than "I want a 351 so it's faster". What is your speed goal?

Regardless of what the goal is, I would go with the roller block. If you just want a 351, get a longblock and call it good. If you want to go fast, get a shortblock and source a good set of heads somewhere else. There's really not a lot to say without more information about where you are going with this.

See, now that is what I like.

I do want more rear wheel power. I have had this truck since 1992. I am on a budget. Although, I can save up over time to purchase other items before purchasing. I use it as a daily driver. It has to be speed density friendly. It does not have to have a ton of power just more then my stock 5.0....I live in Missouri and the hills I have to go up and down to and from work gives the 302 a workout. I do Highway driving so 3.55 gears are staying in the rear. I would like a decent starter 351W and over time maybe throw better parts at it.

I did a similar swap but my truck is a 96 and mass air obd2. I ran it with a stock shortblock out of a totaled truck and a mild cam and heads at first with the stock intake. It ran ok but the motor was shot. I think with a fresh stock roller long block with the stock truck intake it will be a nice improvement over the 302. My 302 had 350k when I pulled it. Then the only 351w specific parts you will need is a flex plate and distributor like you mentioned.

If/when you score a deal on a GT40 later you can convert it over. You will need the Lightning specific throttle cable and bracket, different iac and a mustang throttle body. Also egr if you plan on keeping it functional. Plus a little rewiring of the stock harness.

The truck intakes are actually supposed to be pretty good. All you need is the lower intake as it is wider than the 5.0's. You can use your stock upper intake

The truck intakes are actually supposed to be pretty good. All you need is the lower intake as it is wider than the 5.0's. You can use your stock upper intake

Depends on the truck intake, theres two different port designs which are very different.
One of which one of the after market companies used to make a better flowing upper intake off of
truck%20intake_zpsj9nussvr.jpg

Correct me if im wrong but the right two are truck intake (one is a 351w the other a 302)
and the left is a foxbody intake.

The center intake is a 302 truck lower which is basically the same as the Holley systemax. The 351w intake is the tiny oval port lower to the right. It seems the 302 got the nice intake but the 351w did not. But it's fine for a mild application.

The L lower will be the same as the far left lower which is a GT40/Cobra style. If you can source a L lower a Mustang GT40/Cobra upper will work which is what the L has it is just flipped to put the TB on the DS vs the PS. Also IIRC there are spacers available to fit the 50 lower on a 58.

None of those lower intakes are L specific or GT-40 lowers. They may be OEM parts, but not the L GT-40.

Back