408 sound

coopdog123

greased lightning
408 guys, i have an exhaust question. Obviously this is going to vary from one setup to the other, but in general would you guys say that a 408 stroker windsor has the "big block" note? In general, i would say that i can tell the difference between a loud small block and lets say a 440, 428, 396, etc. There's almost always a difference in base note and a considerably more noticeable "thumping" sound. Like a 351 with open pipes and a bumpy cam, or even a 383 sbc, just don't have the cubes, and its quite obvious. Would those of you with strokers say you've achieved the big block sound or are the cubes still lacking?

I've posted this before but I think this is the best idle I've heard from one of these trucks. Wyrenuts 410 at first fire.

As far as I'm concerned, the deeper resonance of a true big block cannot be matched. No sound like it, and it still isn't matched by a hi-cube small block.

The sound is about a whole lot more than cubic inches.

+1
I'd be willing to bet it's the intake and exhaust port volume more than cube.
Here's when I've noticed exhaust note changes

1. Cam
2. Heads
3. Boosted (turbo is quieter, a s/c is louder at idle )
4. Batch fire vs sefi ( speed density vs mass air)
5. Msd box changes the exhaust note a cunt hair
6. FiberGlass filled vs chamber muffler

Header size and amount of air goin thru it will do alot , I had a mustang with a 408 14.1 compression with kooks headers big primarys and 4inch collectors, Chevy guys at the track would ask how big a motor and how much spray , when id tellem all motor small block, they would get mad and wana see under the hood everytime like i was lying to them, It rumbled , but to me you could tell by the high pitch when its wrapping rpms , the big blocks still have a deeper sound wrapped out .

The sound is about a whole lot more than cubic inches.

exactly, thats why i asked if the sound was achievable with the windsor. Does chamber shape and compression effect it? Port and valve sizes? Would achieving the sound ruin the power dilivery?

I'm sure you could make a Windsor sound like a big block, but by the time you did it would likely have been more efficient to just build and install a big block. All engines have their own sounds, not just big blocks and small blocks. Back when I went to the track every week I could tell you what was making a pass without looking. Why? Probably because firing order, rpm range, port size and configuration, header type, induction type, bore size, valve size, cam design and every other parameter change the sound a little bit. Actually, scratch off firing order because it's one of the few things that's the same for most V8 engines.

I still think a well build FE with Tri-Power is the best sounding engine on the planet.

I agree on the FE sound. A guy around us recently did an FE with a Survivor Motorsports 428 stroker kit and the car sounds bad***. It went in a Galaxy. I personally feel I can tell a BB when I hear one, they're just different.

Dude you got a badass truck! I sure do miss that chrome. I had a red 1992 XLT 5.0 truck I had pipe dreams of building but wanted a Lightning ever since I was in highschool (circa 1996). So when my dad wrecked my truck and a Lightning was for sale at the same time I snagged it. Again beautiful truck!

- - - Updated - - -

exactly, thats why i asked if the sound was achievable with the windsor. Does chamber shape and compression effect it? Port and valve sizes? Would achieving the sound ruin the power dilivery?

You need to visit your local drag strip and mozzi around a little. You will see pretty quickly the diff in the sound a big block of any brand makes over a small block. Night and day IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe valve size, port/runner size play the biggest part. Along with a long duration camshaft.

Dude you got a badass truck! I sure do miss that chrome. I had a red 1992 XLT 5.0 truck I had pipe dreams of building but wanted a Lightning ever since I was in highschool (circa 1996). So when my dad wrecked my truck and a Lightning was for sale at the same time I snagged it. Again beautiful truck!

- - - Updated - - -

You need to visit your local drag strip and mozzi around a little. You will see pretty quickly the diff in the sound a big block of any brand makes over a small block. Night and day IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe valve size, port/runner size play the biggest part. Along with a long duration camshaft.

Then add mechanical injection to a big block with a 900 plus lift cam and your talking beautiful music.

Back