4 link project

Scotts Elle

Stan, I am about to start my 4 link project and found out that you can get QA1s. What QA1 length coil overs would you recommend and how much can sell them to me for?

First off what I would do is figure out how long they will be the length goes from 5,7 to 9 inches.With spring rates from 100 to 600 on the short travel shocks.What ever shock you decide on You will need to stay with the correct length spring.
Shock price is about 175 per shock depending on what options you want on the shokc.Now I do have a set of carreras off mine that use a 14 ich barrel spring that spring rate is 175.and they are the long ones If those will help I will sell them for 90 bucks for the pair.What that means is you will have the 9 inch travel shock.Which more than likely will be the ones that you will use,depending on where you mount the cross bar for the upper shock mount.Stan

Thanks! If the sring rates are to soft, how hard is it to order a harder spring?

You mentioned that these were on your truck? Do you have a picture of that set-up? It sounds like these are the best fit.

the setup that I have is an IRS unit.As for changing springs pretty easy just loosen the adjusters till the spring is loose then remove the top mount[slides off] and install new spring.The shock assm does have to be off the vehicle to do this.Spring for coilover shocks run about 35 to 55 each.Stan

So how can I pay you for those? Paypal? I live in Calgary, Alberta (Canada). What will UPS ground cost me?

Thanks Stan!

beint that it is a 4 link you will be stuck with either making a track bar.NONE that I know of are strong enough for that app.OR use a diagnal bar.Stan

Stan,

I have the 4link installed and put on the panhard from KP. This panhard mounts to the Drivers side of the frame and the bar extends all the way to the passengers side axle mount (Basically the spring perch).

My problem is that when the axle is raised and lowered (full suspension travel) the axle moves about 1 to 1.5" to the passenger side. It looks to be the way the suspension geometry is set-up. Is this supposed to happen? I thought that a panhard was supposed to hold the axle dead centre throughout the entire suspension travel? Is this so?

See pictures below... you can see from the "clean or black part of the swaybar I am off centre with the axle at full rest
panhardframemount.JPG

panhardaxlemount.JPG

panhardbar.JPG

Last edited:
The panhard system will cause the axle to move sideways.the key is to have it move the least amount.the rear suspension only is going to have an effective travel of how many inches?than what is the ride height?that is what will determine the amount of side movement.You can go to a watt linkage if you can engineer one to fit with the 4 bar set up.but that is about all that is out there for that set up.I do know that a diagnal will not work because of the postion of the lower bars.STan

Well that all depends on what you plan on doing with it.the majority of the 4 bar owners drag race so in that case no.but if you drive on the street or road course the handling will be greatly improved with one.Stan

Stan,

Did you use a cross-bar before? I am trying to mount the coil-overs you sent and have been cycling through many different mounting options. I have come to the conclusion that a cross bar is needed. I have about 4" of suspension travel and a low ride height (I measure 4.25" between the axle and bottom of the frame.

Do you have any pictures of your old set-up you can email me to get my creative juices flowing?

My set up never made it to the vehicle just in my head and on the cad.Yes you will need some sort of diagnal link or panhard bar to keep the axle UNDER the vehicle.Sway bar is nice if you plan on driving it on the street .Stan

The cross bar I was refering to was for the coilovers. I am trying to mount the coilovers on the putside of the frame but am running into some issues. I am looking for another way to mount them.

They can be mounted on the outside of the frame the way to do that is to run a tube THRU the frame rails and weld the tube to the frame rails.IF you fit the tube to the hole you have in the frame rail correctly you will do 2 things one is you now stiffened the frame up considerable [added another cross brace] and 2 mounted your shocks out.that would work fine and will solve your problems.STan

Back