3rd Gen Lightning Production

Hey Guys im going to uti in chicago right now and had a chance to hit up the auto show here and spent alot of time looking at the ford section there and i got to talking with one of the engineers about alot to stuff ford is putting out and he asked what i drive and i told him a dark shadow gray 03 lightning and he smiled alittle and i asked what he was laughing about. he didnt say anything for a few mins and i asked him is ford bringing back the lightning. he told me to wait till next yrs show to find out. soooo maybe just maybe there bringing it to the autoshow next yr hope u guys like the info.

Hey Guys im going to uti in chicago right now and had a chance to hit up the auto show here and spent alot of time looking at the ford section there and i got to talking with one of the engineers about alot to stuff ford is putting out and he asked what i drive and i told him a dark shadow gray 03 lightning and he smiled alittle and i asked what he was laughing about. he didnt say anything for a few mins and i asked him is ford bringing back the lightning. he told me to wait till next yrs show to find out. soooo maybe just maybe there bringing it to the autoshow next yr hope u guys like the info.

Not what i heard :gl:

The word i heard was that SVT does not want to bring back the lightning because a 4x4 offroad truck applies to more people and brings in more buyers from many more regions. :nono:

Not what i heard :gl:

The word i heard was that SVT does not want to bring back the lightning because a 4x4 offroad truck applies to more people and brings in more buyers from many more regions. :nono:

That sounds like Ford, not giving a sh!t about their loyal (almost cult-like) customers, and just concentrating on how MANY sales they can rack up. One thing is for sure, as long as there is a truck with an SVT badge on it other than the Lightning--there won't be a Lightning. It doesn't make sence to compete within your own company.

If they made a new full size Lightning I doubt I would buy one. For one, the full sized trucks today are just huge. Second, they haven't had a true regular cab truck since the last body style(97-04 heritage). Now if they made the F100(midsize concept) into a Lightning, I would be on that like white on rice.

I spoke to a SVT rep a while back and asked why they decided not to make another Lightning... basically the truck is to damn heavy. Its what.... 5400 pounds in the single cab configuration now. So they went in a direction that works with the weight/chassis... the Raptor.

HOWEVER, way before that... like back in 2005 or so... I heard that because of the weight they'd make a race version and a street version. Race version would have a fiberglass bed and no tow rating. Street version would be a fully functional with all the tow/payload ratings. But because of production costs it wasn't feasable at the time.

Regardless the Harley Davidson appeals to a larger crowd and in mid 2007 they supercharged them again. In today's economy barely anyone is going to pay $40k+ for a single cab performance truck and Ford knows it.

I think you'll see a Shelby F150 (i.e. the F150 Super Snake) before you'd see another lightning. Ford seems to be outsourcing all their specialty vehicles to Shelby nowadays.

That sounds like Ford, not giving a sh!t about their loyal (almost cult-like) customers, and just concentrating on how MANY sales they can rack up. One thing is for sure, as long as there is a truck with an SVT badge on it other than the Lightning--there won't be a Lightning. It doesn't make sence to compete within your own company.

it wouldn't be competition.. more like another option for potential buyers.. for example v6 - v8 - shelby mustangs?

FORD is a business and their goal is to make a profit. The L was not a profit driven vechile more like a loss leader.
As is the Raptor and most likely the Shelbys as well.
However they do shine a light on the company and have the potential to bring in customers who may not buy one of the "perfoemance" editions but will likely purchase a mainstream product.

keep in mind the bottom line is what they (FOMOCO) keep an eye on....

Back