2000 Lightning Not Passing Cailfornia SMOG Test

jamesvran

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2000 that has always passed smog but was recently flagged by the State and told I needed to see a BAR Referee. I am the second owner and have had the truck for 17 years.

The referee got me for on stickers for my CARB compliant headers and K&N Filter plus a non-stock pulley and last but not least a number of Monitors that were turned off in my software.

I fixed the first three issues but I am having trouble with the monitors. I went to my Ford dealership and had them reload the software twice but it did not reset the monitors to ready. I have attached a print out of the OBD II diagnostic sheet showing the unsupported monitors. ( Misfire, Catalyst, Evap System, Ox Sensor, Ox Sen Heater, EGR System)

I believe the first owner changed the software and now I can't get it back to stock.

Any ideas on what I should do next?

I am located in the SF Bay Area, Walnut Creek CA.

Thanks!

Jim

Not sure what tuner you have but my 04 MACH1 I have flashed with an SCT and it has the OEM stock tune saved so I can flash back to stock. In theory any way 15 yrs on the tune and TX (my county at least) no tail pipe test and visual insp only of emission sys.
IOW as long as it looks good it usually passes. Sorry for your CA big brother issues and hope it gets worked out.

All I got man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CA is a b*tch. Over at another Lightning site, there are lots of CA Lightning owners complaining of this. It seems like everyone with a Lightning is getting flagged to see a referee. Glad I moved out of that state 17 years ago. No smog or inspection at all where I live.

I have some friends that live there. They want out bad, but are waiting for their kids to finish school. Some likely have good jobs they don't want to leave. I lived there from 76 to 02. Was mostly nice up until about the mid 90's, when they started doing bi-annual smog checks. Moved to Oklahoma in 02. Took EGR off my L when I did a blower swap to a MP a few months ago. Couldn't do that in CA.

Anybody know if the monitors on a Gen2 will light automatically, after so many heat cycles or over a period of time? Im in cali and my viper will not light certain monitors right away or after so many heat cycles, it takes about 2 weeks without the battery dying etc.

And yes, want out of this state bad too...

The EVAP monitor is the one that takes the longest. Catalyst next, but not too bad. EVAP there is a drive cycle to make it go READY. Ten minutes on the highway at 60 mph or better. Ten minutes in town with five complete stops. This is kind of an abbreviated cycle, but it usually works for me.

Hi James
I am having the same issue with my 2000 also. I to have been to the bar/ referee station. Did you figure out your smog? I live close to you in San Ramon . I would love to talk to you more about it . My truck hasn’t been registered for almost 2 years cause of this.

Same here. Was sent to a state referee. Need stock parts. Need to put the egr back. Lower stock pulley and stock maf. I haven’t registered my truck for two years now. I have a good job if not I would been in Texas by now. Any help finding this parts?

I think it's vehicles of a certain age get sent. When I was there, I lived happily for a while with my modified '95 that would pass the sniffer just fine, but once the referee got involved, I was screwed because I had so many non-EO# parts on it.

Back