1st Gen Lightning Intake

XLTbeater

I will probably catch some flack for this but I am going to ask it anyway. I have heard that the stock 1st gen Lightning intakes are hard to come by nowadays. I came across one a few years back while scrounging around an old junkyard. I didn't realize its potential and walked by it. This weekend I plan to make a trip to this JY while visiting relatives. If the intake is still there (doubtful), how much is it worth (undamaged)? What should I be looking for on the intake as far as damage, wear, and tear is concerned? Thanks for any advice you can give me!:D

XLTbeater

Every now and then i see one on ebay and i think the last one i saw went for about 400 bucks.
First thing is, make sure the egr tube is intact (its the little tiny tube in the center), make sure nothing is cracked, and that gasket surfaces are flat.
welcome to the forum btw!

if it still there post up where tha yard is, so others can go get parts from it.
it hard to find these trucks in wrecking yards. and depending on yard somone may try to save it from the crusher if price is right.

It is or was a smaller JY in Washington NJ. This is going on close to ten years ago and it's probably closed. I was looking for BBC parts (sorry guys, it's the way it was) back then and the motor was sitting in the corner of the shed amongst a lot of other engines. If I don't find a Lightning intake, what aftermarket intake would suite a conservative engine build? I was looking at the Edelbrock Performer intake (part# 3881), but I am wondering if it's taller than the stock intake?

The car I want to build this for is an '86 Crown Vic that's owned by my mother. I have been shown that we can fit a Lightning engine into a CV w/o modding the hood. After gas prices went way up last year, my father scrapped the idea. Even though current prices will not remain the same, my father agreed to building the engine. After driving the stock car on rte. 22 a few times, he said it could use some extra torque. So that's where I am with that.

XLTbeater

I went to both the swap meet in Englishtown and the junkyard today. The junkyard has long been closed. So I will be going back out there sometime in early Mayto see if the one in Merryl Creek is still open. I didn't see anything in Englishtown either except Mustang HO parts. The search goes on until I start building the engine.

XLTbeater

When I cracked my lower intake about 4 years ago, I bought a Performance Products Typhoon intake upper and lower for $300. It is an Edelbrock clone, and has a low profile as well. I don't know what they go for now, but it has worked well for me down to the 11's. A buddy of mine has one on his mustang and it fit with the stock hood. He has a 331 w/ 150 shot and has run a 10.99 with that intake.

Merlin

I didn't know the Typhoon intakes would fit onto a 351W. I was considering the same intake for a 347, but the more I thought about it, I began to realize that I could get the same power out of a stock displacement 351W. I might just go this route since it is going to be a conservative build because the car it's going into weighs over two tons.

XLTbeater

Back