1993 transmission dying....dead? Siiiiggghhh

93SVT

Paid NLOC Member
I Support the NLOC
I have like 168k on the truck. Transmission (fluid) has not been well maintained. It sat for like 3 years and hasn't been serviced since forever before that. I used to occasionally get a real hard shift, now i am getting it very often. In overdrive it starts "slipping" while just driving down the road at normal city speeds (45-55mph) and will kind of slam in and out of gear. I get a very sporadic and short CEL (unsure if that's related)

I guess my question is does this specifically sound like any particular? I will not/can not diagnose this myself and i am just gonna hopefully research to find a reputable person near me but i would like to have a little knowledge going so that's what i am doing asking you guys.

I was hoping to buy punisher valve body and then this nonsense popped up on me.

I am afraid (for no real reason i guess) that whoever looks at will just want to replace it. Should i try to avoid that as much as possible? I suppose i just need to put my trust into whoever is looking at it?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Is the speedo reading solid? Like Billy suggested, that sounds more like an electronics issue than a mechanical problem.

If the CEL lights up, there will be a code stored, even if the light is no longer on.

Is the speedo reading solid? Like Billy suggested, that sounds more like an electronics issue than a mechanical problem.

If the CEL lights up, there will be a code stored, even if the light is no longer on.
Can how to do that be found or explained pretty easily? It's been a million years since I've had to do that. I've also seen an ad for ODB1 readers on Amazon I think. They worth a crap?

As far as I can tell I am not having any issues with the speedo

Edit: I found a video. I'll look to mess with that. Maybe I'll try a scanner also, they are cheap enough

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would put a fresh mlps sensor on it. Just mite fix it!
Any clue if they are available where I don't need to repin it/ can use original connector? I'm gonna check codes first but just trying to gather Intel in case I try that

Like everyone is saying above, it sounds more of electrical issue. It could be MLPS or VSS in the rear end. Those two are the most common culprit.

Like everyone is saying above, it sounds more of electrical issue. It could be MLPS or VSS in the rear end. Those two are the most common culprit.
Thanks I kinda moved this over to an existing thread. I found some ECM failures. Gonna head that route for the time being
8d5aceb8ccd7646ec743779d272abfdb.jpg
af130b946f1c3417a099054eb938ed28.jpg

How interesting. What problems were going on with yours?

Just saw this. Mine was mostly the CEL coming on for O2 sensor being out of range, and pretty consistent mild surging. It was probably running lean all the time.

Back