10r80 behind a SBF

rusty_408

Rusty
I Support the NLOC
I posted this on FB, but didnt get a lot of feedback. USShift is still working on the controller for the 10r80. The SBF swap kits for the 6r are said to work on the 10r. I was comparing axle ratio and shift RPM between the e4od, 6r, and 10r. I like the way the stock 4.10s looks with 2nd gear launches on the 10r. for most of a run it wouldn't drop lower than about 5k even with shifting at 6500. I hope US shift comes out with the controller this year. I emailed them and they said it would be out later 2022. I want to see these combos.

Link to sheet if anyone want to download

Attachments

• 4.10.JPG
    4.10.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 15
After a thread here a few years ago I think the 6R80 is a worthwhile swap, but I can't say the same for the 10R80. The 10R80 is by far my least favorite thing about my new truck. All it does is hunt for gears and most of them are useless. It doesn't even use all of them most of the time and skips 2 and 4. I think a 6R80 with a taller rear end gear would be great if 1st wasn't so low.

I have a 2019 F-150 and I do not mind the 10 speed at all. I've never really noticed "hunting", I think the drive by wire could be improved, but that's not the transmission's fault.

Really? That’s disappointing. Do you daily yours?
Not really, but it gets the miles. My real daily is a 1990 F-150, but I drive the 2019 a few times per week and when we're traveling. I put about 12,000 miles per year on it, so it doesn't just sit. It will barely go up any kind of incline without downshifting to 9th and sometimes 8th. It is a crew cab 4X4, so it's heavy. When I did the math on the other axle ratios (3.15, 3.31 and 3.55 I think) it wasn't pretty, so I ordered it with the 3.73s. I can only imagine what it would be like with 3.15s in it. It's got the 5.0 so that might also have something to do with it.

Over the weekend I was reminded of another thing I dislike about my 10r80. It doesn't work when cold. I've had it in under warranty for this once. They confirmed the issue and reflashed the PCM. No help at all. The issue I was having is that it wouldn't shift after sitting for a few hours. Saturday morning I left and when it shifted to 2nd there was nothing there. The engine revved, but it didn't go anywhere. This is a pretty widespread issue.

Over the weekend I was reminded of another thing I dislike about my 10r80. It doesn't work when cold. I've had it in under warranty for this once. They confirmed the issue and reflashed the PCM. No help at all. The issue I was having is that it wouldn't shift after sitting for a few hours. Saturday morning I left and when it shifted to 2nd there was nothing there. The engine revved, but it didn't go anywhere. This is a pretty widespread issue.
Whoa, that's crazy. I've never had that issue.

Whoa, that's crazy. I've never had that issue.
I didn't know it was widespread until it started happening and I googled it. There is a lawsuit brewing over other issues. One is harsh shifts, which I had sometimes before I took it in. I only had that when shifting out of park, but I guess other people have it on all shifts. I even had mine lurch forward on engine start even though it was in park. When that happened it was enough that it would have bent metal if it hadn't been in park at the time. I have no doubt it would have at least hit the garage door and probably hit the cars inside the garage. It's pretty rough.

That's why I run a tune on my 2019. No more skip shifting and sport mode is a beast. Probably dang near outrun a stock gen 2 and mine is 4 door 4x4 5.0. but as a performance transmission you can't beat it in a truck imo. There is a big difference between 6r80 trucks and 10r80 trucks. Have seen it first hand. Same mods on a 2016 5.0 will be a few tenths slower in the 1/8 vs a 2018+ truck.

That's why I run a tune on my 2019. No more skip shifting and sport mode is a beast. Probably dang near outrun a stock gen 2 and mine is 4 door 4x4 5.0. but as a performance transmission you can't beat it in a truck imo. There is a big difference between 6r80 trucks and 10r80 trucks. Have seen it first hand. Same mods on a 2016 5.0 will be a few tenths slower in the 1/8 vs a 2018+ truck.
Yup my brothers bone stock no tune 2021 rcsb went 13.02 and that's hitting the speed limiter before the 1/4. The 6 speed trucks I think only went low 14s stock

My wife just got a 2021 explorer with the 10 speed. I did a 5star 93 performance tune yesterday. Dang huge difference. Shifts firm and holds gears longer. Feels like the sho we had.

I don't think any of the stock issues will matter in this case. You will be able to tune the trans to do what you want when you want. That 10r controller is not going to be cheap. The 6r is $1249

Whether or not the stock issues will matter on a swap depends on where the issues come from. If it's a programming issue they won't be there, but the failure for gears to engage when cold and the harsh shifts could just as easily be mechanical.

Back