New (to me) Truck

Copperhead

Keith Blackburn
Been itching to get myself more of "Streetable" Hot-Rod over the last year or so,....to compliment my Copper Truck,....that is pretty much a track-only deal these days.

I kicked around different types of cars,....but something seemed to draw me back to a Truck.

Well,......a good friend of mine (that's local to me posted his Red 93 For-Sale,....and I went to take a look at it,.....and I ended up bringing it home.

Tentative plans are a complete Refurb of the Frame and Suspension,.....a lot of new sheet metal ,....as well as a complete re-paint, with a custom color.
(NO,.... it won't be Copper)

As far as Performance goes,.....I'd really like to build a Single Turbo set-up for it,.....and I know some people might not like it,....BUT,....convert it to a Blow-Thru Carburetor deal while still retaining the E4OD,...for cruising.

I'd like to have somewhere around 600 to the tires.

Plan is to re-fresh the engine (.030 over) install a set of Aluminum Heads, some Forged Pistons, along with some good Rods on the stock Crank.

I think this is all pretty do-able,....with not a tremendous amount of extra effort,.....but time will tell.

I would really like to have it finished by Spring of next year,....so my Wife and I can take it on the Hot-Rod Power Tour.

Don't know if I can complete the task by then or not,.....but you have to set a goal.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

I like it except I wouldn't do a blow through when the pimpxshift would be cheaper in long run. Blow through carb is expensive and you will most likely need a quick 4 for the trans as the stock computer really really sucks at shifting when you make over 500hp. Streetable to me also means great manners which I think the efi system will win that too. Aside from that it seems like it will be fun.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Looks good man! It’s nice to have one to drive around when you want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it except I wouldn't do a blow through when the pimpxshift would be cheaper in long run. Blow through carb is expensive and you will most likely need a quick 4 for the trans as the stock computer really really sucks at shifting when you make over 500hp. Streetable to me also means great manners which I think the efi system will win that too. Aside from that it seems like it will be fun.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
There's a reason why Blow Thru carbs still popular,.....and its NOT because they're more expensive than a comparable EFI system,....but rather just the opposite.

No expensive Injectors or Fuel Rails, No MAP, TPS, IAC sensors.

Heck,....I can sell my complete GT-40 intake (on Ebay or F/B),....and pretty much break even on a good CSU carb.
Edelbrock Super Victor Intakes aren't too terribly pricey.

Not to mention,....with a Carb,...you can get away w/o having to run an Intercooler,..........and it makes the Tubing work much easier to plumb & look better as well.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

I like EFI but its hard to really say a carb doesn't still have a small place in modern performance. My brother runs a C&S carb on his procharged fox and it really does run great. even without a choke horn it will run down to like 50 degrees with no issue. always starts right up and has very nice street manners. I'm sure on the ultimate budget EFI vs high dollar carb setup the cost could be close. but top dollar EFI components are pricy.

I have stock intake, throttle body, and rails. So my efi "upgrade" was really just Pimp/xs and injectors and fuel pump. This combo has proven to go pretty far and handle quite an awesome street setup in my mind. but like you noted, selling the intake will just about get your combo running.

Anyway, excited to follow the build.

Oh nice!! Interested in following this build! Post pics of this build as you go and show me this Copper truck you mentioned!

Well,.........Plans change.

Both my Copper RaceTruck,.....and my planned Red, Street-Truck,.......have both been SOLD. New owner took delivery of them yesterday. They are now in Brownsville Texas.

On a positive note,......the Copper truck was only sold as a Roller. I kept the Engine & Transmission. They are going in something else,.....a 62 Tube Chassis Falcon that I'm building.

The Falcon was the ultimate reason I sold the Red truck,....as I didn't want two HUGE projects in my Shop at once. SO,.........I bought an 04 Mustang Mach1,.....for me & the wife to cruise around in this Summer. I'll post pics at a later date.

I'll still be around from time to time though.

excited to see whats next, sad to see the end of this chapter. hopefully the new guy continues its life with ford power

excited to see whats next, sad to see the end of this chapter. hopefully the new guy continues its life with ford power
I'll be honest,.....Im gonna miss the Ol' Copper truck. Owned it since the spring of 96

BUT,......these days,.....the Truck was just no longer competitive in it's current state. Hard to fathom,.....1100+ HP to the tires wasn't enough, but it's true.

SO,....I was at a point, if I wanted to still race the truck (and Win),........I was either going to have to do some major weight reduction (aka Cut the Truck up),.....OR,......change my engine set-up. Both would have required a lot more money than I was willing to spend. It's just easier to go fast with something much lighter.

Back