To boost and what to boost ?

whiteknight

turbo powered Syclone
so last time i checked out the old bank account i discovered i actually have money saved! what to do with it was no problem,i want to get a supercharger for my 94 L. Question is what will be the best set up of the regular four and why?

1. vortec
2. procharger
3. powerdyne
4. paxton

Help me i need to go faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!;c :confused:

Just ask Yourself 2 Major Questions whiteknight.

(1) how fast do you want to Go?

(2) how much money do you wanna spend?

If you just want to run high 12's -13's than just buy a Powerdyne BD-11A

If your just looking to run Low-Mid 12's than buy a Powerdyne XB-1A or Vortech SQ-Trim..:D

If you want to Go REAL Fast than buy a Paxton Novi2000, ProCharger, Or Vortech YS-trim Or Even Turbo :tu:

i wanna go as fast as i can the only set back is i have only 3500 bucks to play with. the turbo is kinda to much money wise and i wanna drive it to the track not trailer it it must be streetable!

It has always amazed me why NOONE on here recommends a Kenne Bell Blowzilla for a daily driver. They make SOO much more low end torque and seriously outpower an 8# centrifigal until the top of the rev range. Top end HP will be the same. Why is that guys?
Do a little research on this.:tu:

Hey Rod, for some reason I figured that the KB 2.2 kit was $4000+, but after lookin at KBs site, they say it should be $3650, so there ya go.

Go KB or go home! Trust me when I say this, this sombiatch is fun.

(PT # TB3001-BK)

ah ha their is another choice kenne bell i never knew they made a kit for the gen 1. with the blowzilla kit the boost level can be set fro 8-18 psi now thats what i call an upgrade for 3800 bucks

Hey Rod, I do love the Kenne Bell, low end boost and appearance
:tu:

However, for myself the low end boost is why I chose not to go with the Kenne Bell and the reason being is with a centrifugal I can drive my truck around all day making zero boost and running only one fuel pump(no extra wear going on in the motor) and simply nail the go pedal and I'm making all the boost before I know it.

I figured if I wanted to be making boost 24/7 or needed to tow something a lot, then having my motor always making boost the Kenne Bell would be an all around better blower.

For me I just wanted the Blower to be their when I nailed it.

Again these are only the reasons I personally decided not to go with the Kenne Bell and go centrifugal. I did spend a bunch of time at Kenne Bell's shop talking with Jim years ago about their setup, it is very sweet.

I don't think you can wrong either way, just what you want...and you can go dammm fast with either.

Tim

I personally do not recommend KB to anyone that I know because it has not been proven on the GEN 1 in my opinion. Every KB truck that I have seen has been a dissapointment ET wise. I'm not talking about Dyno numbers because I do not care what a dyno graph says if it does not have a timeslip to back it up. I have read up on the theories behind the design of the KB, it's supposed efficiency and supposed cooler intake charge not necessitating an intercooler but I think that it is all junk. Not one or our local SoCal KB guys has put down any respectable numbers at the track and they all seem to have problems making boost without detonation. Some have had to rig up methanol kits etc..just to run a decent amount of boost. Still none of these trucks have put up numbers that will compete with any vortech or Paxton setups. I have no doubt that with enough dedication and ingenuity someone can make a KB truck run as well as any other supercharged truck, but I just think it has not been proven yet. Hopefully Derek will be the first :)

If I put a blower on my truck it will be something simple and proven. A vortech or a paxton. :tu:

I don't know were to start, lets see.Kenne Bell blowers dont make boost 24/7. Like the other blowers boost comes on when your throttle is past 3/4. Comparing KB to the Novi doesnt seem rite the Novi is a bigger race blower 1200cfm I think compared to 950 cfm. Hey Dave, is my blower work invisable to you or what. I have not been to the track yet but have worked out some of the biggest problems with the Gen 1 Kenne Bell set up. Putting the longer snout will now allow the blower to make max boost. The Flowzilla inlet flows twice as much air into the blower than the stock inlet. It didn't take much to figure out the flaws in the Lightning specific blower.Good old fashon hot rod thinking is all it took. I saw parts out there that looked like they would work and they did. No one with a KB has been able to run a 15# pulley because the pulley is to small and the belt wont grip.That problem is now history. I could go on but wont.For the street Kenne Bell is the best. At the track it will be just a matter of time till some of the big boys running KB on a Gen 1 to change over to my pulley set up. It would be nice to see the set up I came up with on a 351 motor to then compare the results. I feel the changes I have made are unique and relevent. To bad not all would agree. Now I know how Rodney Dangerfield felt. Later Alex

Oh yeah I forgot innercooling. Water injection works. I ran 20# of boost on my blower with no pinging with the help of Snow Performance water kit. And yes I have figured that out. I have two innercooler manifolds being completed as we speak. 1700 is twice as much air is my point.

Alex: You have put a ton of time and effort into making your blower work for you. It is not a plug and play operation. You still have not proven what the KB can do though, and the only way to do this is at the track. Once you get your truck making some decent power you can finally say you have ironed out all the kinks with the KB and then push it as a good blower. Untill then the vortech and Paxton guys have the best blower setups out there for our trucks.

I still do not see what you KB guys mean by the best blower for the street. Neither the KB nor the centrifugals can be run with high boost without good gas and intercooling. So they all have to be pullied down for the street, and I still think that the centrifugals will make more power at the lower boost levels too.

But what do I know, I'm just a juice kind of guy. :)

jamie v said:
Air makes power not boost (Boost is just a measure of resistance)
You hit the nail on the head there: CFM=AirFLOW=Power
Boost is Unused Combustion Air :tu:

jamie v said:
(because at 15#s of boost the Novi pushed more air then the SQ). This is the same reason the Gen 2 guys switch out the Eaton blowers for the KB because they push more CFM's at any given # of boost.
I kinda see where you are going with this but I have a different twist on this issue, being a Gen2 guy.
I won't comment on the SQ vs Novi. But the Eaton/KB I will.
15 pounds manifold pressure is the same flow unless you change heads, ports, valves, exhaust, etc.
Example: I went with a full long tube exhaust and gained HP and "Lost" boost. Jamie knows why. Increased flow(CFM) "Used Up" some of the Unused Combustion Air.
However, If you swap out an Eaton and swap in a KB, with no other changes, and size the pullies to 15#(the same as what was removed), the CFM is the same.
The increase in power with the KB is that it makes more boost than the Eaton. So you slow it down to keep the boost the same. This results in less parasitic drag.
Secondly, the KB generates less heat. A lot less. In the Gen2s the computer pulls something like 1 degree of timing for every 10 degrees of manifold heat. If the KB runs 50 degrees cooler. That's 5 degrees timing added. This is a conservative estimate. I have heard bigger Temp/Timing curves. How much HP is 8-10 degrees of timing? You get the picture now. :tu:
Getting back to the centrifugal units I think the same might apply. Maybe the Novi runs cooler with less drag? Was the timing the same with the blower swap or were you able to bump up the timing after?
I'm not doubting your claim, just offering something else to consider.:)

Fred Decker
;w

Dave your so narrow minded. The problem with my set up never had anything to do with the blower.The head gaskets on both heads were bad and the cam had a flat lobe. As far as the effort into the changes I made to my blower. I'm very supprised someone didn't figure it out sooner. All the pieces were out there all I did was take Mustang stuff and put them on my Lightning. Your rite I havent proven it at the track yet. One of my KB bros will do that before I do. Rite now the biggest problem I have is keeping the tires from melting.

Back