Steps in the Right Direction - Build Thread for my two Lightnings

Put it on the Dyno, that way you can see how much increase in HP the timing is worth. Pull plugs of you want to. I know a guy with a Dyno that is not too far and reasonably priced.

I had a long drive home and I really wanted the head gaskets to stay in the motor! If I would've been within 50 miles of the track, I would've keep cranking. You have to remember that I drove 800 miles round trip on this adventure, through traffic and bad weather and all kinds of other tests. I was VERY happy with the weekend!

I'm perfectly OK with the timing on pump gas. It's nice and conservative and realistic. I just know I could've put some more in it with the 100 octane I added.

I'm ordering a torque converter today. I'm willing to bet between that and locking the converter in 2nd instead of 3rd, the truck will give me it's best ET ever - I'll go out on a limb and say that 10.50@130 that I've wanted for over a decade. If I tow it next year, I'll do everything I can to make it go 9s.

I'll crew for you and follow you up next year. 9's is a big goal! I gotta get some of this "boost" stuff. Looks like fun.

And so once again I start down the slippery slope... It's been a rather calm year. Or 18 months not including the accident.
db65f485152d7ab0b7b2b5098ea652ff.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Changed the pivot arm bushings and put XJR rod ends in the white truck. Have ball joints ready to go in as well once I decide the route I'm taking on the brakes.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

258mm, triple disc, foot brake to ~3000. That should give me some room to play with the launch control.

258mm, triple disc, foot brake to ~3000. That should give me some room to play with the launch control.

Nice! That sounds like what I have. And it’s awesome! I can’t get the race converter settings right though so don’t have it locking up at WOT. Keeps engaging/ disengaging. Would love to pick your brain a little if you have time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that I'm using the race lockup settings; I can look this evening when I get home and see what I have.

It’s a MPH vs RPM issue if I’m right. When I had the issue I’d have it set for (this is just an example) it to lock up at 72 mph and 4500 rpm. For it to lock both of those conditions have to be met. So what would happen would be both of the conditions would be met, it would lock the converter and then it would yank the RPM down which would trigger it to unlock because both conditions were now not met.

To fix the issue I had to turn the RPMs down low and use just the MPH to lock the converter.

That’s probably what it’s doing. I’ll send a screen shot here shortly.

Edit: I will create a thread in the pimpxshift section so I don't derail Jeff's thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It’s a MPH vs RPM issue if I’m right. When I had the issue I’d have it set for (this is just an example) it to lock up at 72 mph and 4500 rpm. For it to lock both of those conditions have to be met. So what would happen would be both of the conditions would be met, it would lock the converter and then it would yank the RPM down which would trigger it to unlock because both conditions were now not met.

To fix the issue I had to turn the RPMs down low and use just the MPH to lock the converter.

Yes, exactly.

Back