Indy 500 truck identification

So while searching for a truck for my little brother who is dying for a white 94 (like my old truck he fell in love with years go that I regret selling) I stumbled upon a guy who had posted some pictures of his truck on a group page on Facebook.

Truck is a white 94 with the Indy decals, and large Ford white oval on the rear solid window. He has done some work to the truck and sold the tube bumper it had, and the gauge cluster isn’t working so he can’t tell me mileage. Truck is currently in the Bahamas. He claims that there were two trucks imported from the US, and he bought one of them and has been working on fixing things over the years. He will be sending me the VIN number and try and get me some pictures of the interior and underside.

How does somebody identify a true pace truck? What are they worth? I saw the article that was attached to an old thread while searching the forum for information but other than the decals being hand cut, there was one secret decal that only certain people could identify? What should I look for? Any help would greatly appreciated.

Mario

I can't help you on identifying a true Indy truck.... but I can tell you from working in the Bahamas for 2 yrs, that rust is a major, major issue... id be very careful and ask for a lot of pictures...

https://www.nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php/224247-1994-ford-lightning-Indy-500-pace-truck

Post 7 on this thread has the most accurate information on the Official Indy 500 Lightning trucks I'm aware of. It is a 2 page article from the now discontinued SVTOA magazine. It indicates there were only 6 total trucks and two of those were repainted red trucks. Those 2 trucks were held back thus only 4 white Indy 500 Official trucks were available on the grounds for Indy crews and drivers to check out for use. Carefully read the article concerning these trucks.

Scott

Really only 4? I had no idea. I bet I've seen three of the four if that's the case.

[Edit] Ooohhh nevermind, I see in the article that Ford had a dealer-available decal kit to make replicas.

Rust is a real issues especially since most of the Bahamas was destroyed during that last storm. Plus it would be crazy in import fees, and shipping to bring it back. Only way we would even consider it is if it was one of those original trucks.

It seems like those trucks came loaded, had the optional tube bumper and a solid rear window instead of slider to allow for the Ford decal.

We’re the decals the certain dealers offered hand cut like the original trucks?

I have a video of the truck the guy took, gonna try and finds way to post it.

Also the trucks VIN is 1FTDFR0RLB02021

Rust is a real issues especially since most of the Bahamas was destroyed during that last storm. Plus it would be crazy in import fees, and shipping to bring it back. Only way we would even consider it is if it was one of those original trucks.

It seems like those trucks came loaded, had the optional tube bumper and a solid rear window instead of slider to allow for the Ford decal.

We’re the decals the certain dealers offered hand cut like the original trucks?

I have a video of the truck the guy took, gonna try and finds way to post it.

Also the trucks VIN is 1FTDFR0RLB02021

Shoot me the video I can post it in my Youtube channel

There was a member from here that lived on Nassau... years ago... I think his was black at the time. I remember talking to him about places to go there that were car related.... there wasn't much...

If it's legit, the DSO code on the door jamb VIN sticker will be 89.

Got a picture of the door jamb. It had the code 89. Will post a picture shortly

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is guys! Found one of the original 4 trucks. It is in fact a true Indy racetrack truck. Has code 89 on the door jamb decal, which correlates to transportation designation for Ford.
View attachment 39771

Also as seen in the picture of the door jamb it has paint code YZ for Oxford white. I can’t believe I found one of the four trucks!

B581487C-AD61-4F6C-9912-2F8A4A6A8536.jpgI will try reposting the picture guys. So my understanding is that the two trucks were an Indy 94, and the other one was a regular red 93.

- - - Updated - - -

866A6CD2-FD82-445C-848E-99B17EC37749.jpeg

Amazing find. Worth saving this rare piece of history. I read an article lastnight that mentioned 10 of these trucks were made.

You mentioned there were two trucks imported to the Bahamas. Were both of them Indy trucks?

I'm almost positive when I worked on Paradise Island, the one that was there then, 07-08, was black..

OP... where at in the Bahamas is the one you found?..

That's awesome. Looks like the build month is March of '94, so it's around the right time, too. I think it's legit. As for the secret decal, I believe it's a large Ford oval on top of the cab.

I'm almost positive when I worked on Paradise Island, the one that was there then, 07-08, was black..

OP... where at in the Bahamas is the one you found?..

I reached out to the guy again. And he told me both trucks that were imported were Indy trucks. Identical white, and decals. He also stated there is one other truck over there and it’s a black one not a red one.

- - - Updated - - -

This truck is located in Nassau Bahamas.

Back