Better speakers with no mods required?

needmorepower

No, seriously.
I'll be putting a sub and amp in my truck yet, but right now I'm looking to upgrade my OE speakers since they're blown, to something just as good or better than what came with the premium sound package, but which does not require me to drill new mounting holes in the doors or modify the B-pillar grills. I don't mind drilling new holes in the speaker flanges, though, if that's necessary.

I was thinking maybe this pair for the door speakers?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVMHA90/?tag=aymo-20

And I know Rockford Fosgate has a slim truck box that fits behind the center seat. Is it the 10" sub, or does the 12" also fit? Does it still allow the center seat to be raised and lowered without rubbing? Or am I better off putting in a bazooka tube?

I'll be putting a sub and amp in my truck yet, but right now I'm looking to upgrade my OE speakers since they're blown, to something just as good or better than what came with the premium sound package, but which does not require me to drill new mounting holes in the doors or modify the B-pillar grills. I don't mind drilling new holes in the speaker flanges, though, if that's necessary.

I was thinking maybe this pair for the door speakers?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VVMHA90/?tag=aymo-20

And I know Rockford Fosgate has a slim truck box that fits behind the center seat. Is it the 10" sub, or does the 12" also fit? Does it still allow the center seat to be raised and lowered without rubbing? Or am I better off putting in a bazooka tube?
I didnt have a center seat but the rockford was 10" and fit completely behind the passenger seat and I made some brackets to mount the amp behind my center console that was mounted to the sub box so that it was one unit. I have a 2008 f150 center console in my truck and the amp cleared it just fine. Much less space with it than the jumpseats I have seen. For door speakers I just used some kicker speakers in the factory size and I have no complaints.

That said in these small cabs a 10" rockford will rattle pretty damn good. I'm a bass head myself and it was plenty. Hit just as good as my mustang with a kicker 12 in the trunk and shaker 500 system.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

5.25 / 6.5 for doors and 5x7 for rear replacements worked good on mine. Had to trim a little for the 6.5’s.

I used alpine type r.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kicker sound better than Rockfords in my opinion. I used kicker 43CSC654 fronts and 43CSC684 rears. Installed without any modifications. Buy a SP-5512 harnesses to make it complete plug in. It’ll rip.
Side note... I installed similar Rockfords in my 2003 GMC and they weren’t better than the stock ones I replaced with. My wife doesn’t like them.

I didnt have a center seat but the rockford was 10" and fit completely behind the passenger seat...

I did briefly have a 12" Rockford in a truck which I added a center seat to and I couldn't get it to fit behind the center seat, but I may not have drilled the holes in the pan far enough forward, so it was behind the passenger seat instead and it did sound great there, so I will keep that as an option.

5.25 / 6.5 for doors and 5x7 for rear replacements worked good on mine. Had to trim a little for the 6.5’s.

I used alpine type r.

What did you trim? The hole in the door?

Kicker sound better than Rockfords in my opinion. I used kicker 43CSC654 fronts and 43CSC684 rears. Installed without any modifications. Buy a SP-5512 harnesses to make it complete plug in. It’ll rip.

Did your truck have the premium sound system, or have you heard premium sound in another Ford truck that you could compare it to?

Do you use a sub, or just the 4 speakers?

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody using a bazooka tube?

Mine doesn’t have a amp, so I believe that’s non-premium sound. I just have the 4 speakers running off of a Kenwood head unit.

I made a custom box to fit behind my center consol. Has one 10" shallow mount alpine. And i have alpine 5 1/2" speakers in the door that didnt require any cutting. Infinity 5x7 in the back with no cutting.
435519be86a74e66149030f38089c761.jpg
517bd6bfefb9a342f3fc804a6bb20680.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You'll definitely want to baffle the speakers. One of my projects this winter is to get that done. The doors especially will resonate like crazy if you put any kind of power into the sound.

FWIW, I listen mostly to rock and alternative and I like it to be pretty crisp.

What did you trim? The hole in the door?

Holes in the door.

I also have a sealed box behind the passenger seat with an alpine sub. Sounds awesome!

Bypassed the factory amp running the front and rear speakers. Loud and Crystal clear with the alpine deck.

Mine doesn’t have a amp, so I believe that’s non-premium sound. I just have the 4 speakers running off of a Kenwood head unit.

Ah, ok. That would be non-premium sound, yes.

I made a custom box to fit behind my center consol. Has one 10" shallow mount alpine. And i have alpine 5 1/2" speakers in the door that didnt require any cutting. Infinity 5x7 in the back with no cutting.

I'm hoping to buy a box that fits but I could make one if I had to. In your photo it looks like an or center seat wouldn't fit with the box you have.

Do you have links for the speakers you used?

You'll definitely want to baffle the speakers. One of my projects this winter is to get that done. The doors especially will resonate like crazy if you put any kind of power into the sound.

FWIW, I listen mostly to rock and alternative and I like it to be pretty crisp.

You're speaking my language! What do you mean about baffling the speakers? With what and how does one do that?

The sound of your engine should be the only music you need ...

You're not speaking my language!

Bypassed the factory amp running the front and rear speakers. Loud and Crystal clear with the alpine deck.

So you have the deck running the 4 speakers and an amp for the sub? Did your truck come with premium sound?

I have the downs ford center seat. As for the speakers i went to crutchfield and and put the make and model of my truck and it showed what fit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So you have the deck running the 4 speakers and an amp for the sub? Did your truck come with premium sound?

Yes. Alpine everything. It had the premium sound with CD player. I bought the bypass harness from crutchfield and don’t use the factory amp.

Back