Bad start to the Engine install

huffentuff95

Well lesson learned when you put a can of spray paint on top of A kERO heater don't forget about it. The plastic cap flies off the top of the can. I am in the engine bay cleaning and hear the POP. SH!T I just realize I forgot about warming up the can. Gracefully I climb out of the engine bay (NOT) Dam near killed myself trying to get out. I grab the hot can and head for the door... I set it down on the step near the pole barn and say I better move it farther out.
I walk about 4 steps out and shake the can once and KABOOM the can exploded , I am blinded with hot paint . The blast was so loud it sounded like a M-80 went off. My hand stung a little . I got drenched with paint as the force went right thru my clothes. Still can't find the paint can :headscratch: I don't know where the thing went, and I looked.. I am just glad the can didn't hit me in the face. Well here is a picture of my studdering friend Juan on the crane and the motor in the bay:tu Ran into a few hic- cups but here is how I left it. Who want to finish it for me, you can make some passes if you do...:sigh:

Attachments

• motor in bay.jpg
    motor in bay.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 106
  • motor on crane.jpg
    motor on crane.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 107
This story reminds me of the night before Spookfest when you lit off the BBQ with C-16.... :flamed:

Huffing paint Huff?
I don't want to ever hear you tell the story of Penno loosing his cooler out the back of his truck at the drag strip again.

Jeezus Huff ! If you're gonna warm a bomb can put it in a container of hot water (I use a Rubbermaid pitcher) and not on top of a kerosene heater ! Using hot water, if ya forget about it you'll just have cool paint, not an OVERHEATED paint can !!

And, what's this about Penno and a cooler ?

Scott

That sucks, but you were lucky. That could have been much worse. My wife's roommate in college left a can of hairspray on the radiator in her room once. She was a city girl and didn't know any better. It sat there until about 2am before it started making noise and woke her up. It exploded while she was about 4' away thinking about moving it. The can went through the ceiling and into the attic. This was an old house built before drywall and the walls and ceiling were real wood with plaster over it. If that can had hit someone they would have been going to the ER or worse.

No the barn didn't get covered by paint. I grabbed the can so it wouldn't blow inside. Paint would have went all over the truck. If I left it on the step leading into the barn it would have,. I walked out about 7 feet. Maybe I shouldn't have shook the can :no::no: I believe I didn't get hurt is because the bottom of the can blew out, it launched out of my hand like the space shuttle:tongue: My body took the full spatter. :scared1: The dogs went running to the house, scared the poop out of them too....:hh::hh: a picture of the shirt will follow:D

No the barn didn't get covered by paint. I grabbed the can so it wouldn't blow inside. Paint would have went all over the truck. If I left it on the step leading into the barn it would have,. I walked out about 7 feet. Maybe I shouldn't have shook the can :no::no: I believe I didn't get hurt is because the bottom of the can blew out, it launched out of my hand like the space shuttle:tongue: My body took the full spatter. :scared1: The dogs went running to the house, scared the poop out of them too....:hh::hh: a picture of the shirt will follow:D

LMFAO! Your lucky you didn't get hurt Macho.
Nothing will ever beat the Swan Dive story but this paint story is a classic.

:rolleyes: :scared1: Makes me feel SLIGHTLY less-bad about detonating a 50-gal air tank 2 feet away... :BL:

The sonic boom set off car alarms all over the neighborhood. ;m

Holy $hit!!!

Dang huff. You have got a "bad luck" cloud that follows you around and strikes you in the *****!!!

Glad your Ok

Engine looks slick!

Goes with out saying, warm your spray cans inside at ambient temp, takes only an hour Huff,lol.. Sorry the FF in me had to come out.

- - - Updated - - -

:rolleyes: :scared1: Makes me feel SLIGHTLY less-bad about detonating a 50-gal air tank 2 feet away... :BL:

Now we are talking some kinetic energy

This scares the crap out of me...The compressor in the shop that I rent is nearly 60 years old and has no valve to drain the water out of it. All the plumbing for the air is probably 80 years old as well. The air tank has a giant 2-3" pipe plug in the front to look inside but I'm afraid of what I likely will find.

This scares the crap out of me...The compressor in the shop that I rent is nearly 60 years old and has no valve to drain the water out of it. All the plumbing for the air is probably 80 years old as well. The air tank has a giant 2-3" pipe plug in the front to look inside but I'm afraid of what I likely will find.

That's also a reason when it comes time to buy my garage air compressor it will be new! I have a fear of shrapnel!!!

This scares the crap out of me...The compressor in the shop that I rent is nearly 60 years old...
Mine popped while I was under the hood of the Bronco right next to it. One end cap caved in the corner of my home generator shattering the battery; the other end cap bounced off my 2-post gantry lift's Aluminum I-beam; the tank wall unraveled and wiped the gas meter off the side of the house which vented for over an hour before the utility company got it plugged, and then they took 3 weeks to reconnect me; the tank, compressor, & motor jumped so hard that the motor lost a capacitor and the rest embedded in the truck's fender; one of the tank's wheels flew over the house & landed by the mail box; and people from the other side of the neighborhood drove over to see what had happened. For some reason, though, it didn't even ring my ears - I was literally untouched.

If you're indoors with it when yours goes, I doubt you'll be so lucky.
That's also a reason when it comes time to buy my garage air compressor it will be new!

Glad your ok, yea there designed to vent from the bottom..

Back