FYI on aftermarket Lightning decals

Skritch

Just put on an aftermarket Lightning tailgate decal. Came from Latemodel Restoration Supply (LRS) and is made by Graphics Express. Ford licensed product too.

Now most know the decal is an accurate copy of the OEM decal. I found it to be about a 1/2 inch longer than an OEM one. Height seems to be right on. Not a big deal. It is NOT prismatic as most know as well. The "bolt" is relfective.

The instruction sheet that comes with the decal states NOT to use any wax containing rubbing compound or color additives. Cleaner waxes will have "rubbing compound" as Graphic Express states. Any polish will have abrasives to some degree.

I left it set for 2 days after installation as instructions again note that the surface must be at least 60 degrees during installation and the surface temp must be a minimum of 45 degrees for 48 hours after installation. Did that.

Got out the DA buffer and some of my personal favorite Mequiars product. In this case their newest stuff Ultimate Compound (tailgate was repainted at the same time as the roll pan). Going over the decal the blue promptly came off leaving the relfective material indicating the blue is colored on the reflective decal.

Highly UNIMPRESSED with the decal. Graphics Express specifically states not to use cleaner waxes (and by extension any polishes) on the decal. If you have these decals tape them off or keep away from them with cleaner waxes and polishes. I would suspect any Meguiars products I have would do the same thing i.e. #83, #80, even #9 would probably do damage.

What I'm left with is interesting, though not correct. OEM decals when able to find them are costly but they don't lose their color with polishing, at least with a DA buffer and two of ours have had MANY repeated buffings over the decals.

Will leave the decal for the time being as it's kind of interesting and definitely different but I also may change the tailgate to a '95 version. At least the SVT emblem won't discolor !

8058879905_2d7dfa8251_b.jpg

Scott

Just put on an aftermarket Lightning tailgate decal. Came from Latemodel Restoration Supply (LRS) and is made by Graphics Express. Ford licensed product too.

Now most know the decal is an accurate copy of the OEM decal. I found it to be about a 1/2 inch longer than an OEM one. Height seems to be right on. Not a big deal. It is NOT prismatic as most know as well. The "bolt" is relfective.

The instruction sheet that comes with the decal states NOT to use any wax containing rubbing compound or color additives. Cleaner waxes will have "rubbing compound" as Graphic Express states. Any polish will have abrasives to some degree.

I left it set for 2 days after installation as instructions again note that the surface must be at least 60 degrees during installation and the surface temp must be a minimum of 45 degrees for 48 hours after installation. Did that.

Got out the DA buffer and some of my personal favorite Mequiars product. In this case their newest stuff Ultimate Compound (tailgate was repainted at the same time as the roll pan). Going over the decal the blue promptly came off leaving the relfective material indicating the blue is colored on the reflective decal.

Highly UNIMPRESSED with the decal. Graphics Express specifically states not to use cleaner waxes (and by extension any polishes) on the decal. If you have these decals tape them off or keep away from them with cleaner waxes and polishes. I would suspect any Meguiars products I have would do the same thing i.e. #83, #80, even #9 would probably do damage.

What I'm left with is interesting, though not correct. OEM decals when able to find them are costly but they don't lose their color with polishing, at least with a DA buffer and two of ours have had MANY repeated buffings over the decals.

Will leave the decal for the time being as it's kind of interesting and definitely different but I also may change the tailgate to a '95 version. At least the SVT emblem won't discolor !

8058879905_2d7dfa8251_b.jpg

Scott

The white decal doesn't look bad. Although, it definitely isn't what you were looking for. Sorry it didn't work out.

James

I had a friend that made my decals, he used some very expensive 3m stuff and they have held up great so far.

Sorry to hear that....I think it looks kinda cool like that but the OEM decals are beautiful and I would not change them ever.

Man that Sux! When it comes to the originals, the tail is the hardest to find, at least in my case. My original decal's script faded out after 19 years, and rather that accept a substitute that didn't prizm, I innovated a tad.
Scraped off the faded decal script only, leaving the good 'bolt in place. Bought a replacement decal from LFP and only used the blue script. Can't tell the difference.
FWIW, I'm still looking for an OEM tailgate decal.

Man that Sux! When it comes to the originals, the tail is the hardest to find, at least in my case. My original decal's script faded out after 19 years, and rather that accept a substitute that didn't prizm, I innovated a tad.
Scraped off the faded decal script only, leaving the good 'bolt in place. Bought a replacement decal from LFP and only used the blue script. Can't tell the difference.
FWIW, I'm still looking for an OEM tailgate decal.

So Jim, is the LFP decal a Graphics Express decal or one that Mark has had made from another source ? And, have you gone over it with any polishes ?

Scott

The white decal doesn't look bad. Although, it definitely isn't what you were looking for. Sorry it didn't work out.

James

Not a big deal James. I was very much disappointed after spending the time to get the decal properly located (that took me a LONG time to make sure it was exactly where it should be even allowing for the slightly longer length). The instruction sheet does specifically state not to use waxes with abrasives or color additives.

$30 is not the end of the world for the decal, though I could have flushed the $30 down the toilet and been at the same point.......:gl:

Just wanted to make sure those contemplating that brand of decal that there is a serious reservation in using them.

Scott

So Jim, is the LFP decal a Graphics Express decal or one that Mark has had made from another source ? And, have you gone over it with any polishes ?

Scott

Scott, I haven't a clue who provides product to Lightning Force. But it is printed on 'Avery' transfer paper not 3M.
I've hit the decal with my DA, but its not something I have done on purpose. I'm thinking any polishing or waxing abrasive will wear any 'ColorForm' (there's an oldie!) emblem eventually.

Got the tailgate decal from LFP and finally got it installed. Hit it with Meguiars Quick Detailer, then Meguiars #9 swirl remover, then Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Didn't use a DA polisher with foam pad but rather a microfiber pad with vigorous rubbing. It stood up to the polishes !

These pics are after all the rubbing on it. No discernible color loss on the blue.

8150010392_b021b3eff0_b.jpg

8149984275_dc7bd8a1ff_b.jpg

8149984397_c760b14cd0_b.jpg

No installation info comes with the LFP decals but not difficult to install. In the absence of any info I used the Graphics Express install sheet. Their method didn't work quite as nice on the LFP decal but managed to get it on in the proper location.

Scott

Back