Factory Big Brake Kit

Check out the size differance on the front brakes.
Knotts20011005.jpg

I'm finally got everything ready to go. I picked them up from the wrecking yard and they included at no extra charge, a nice layer of rust. I had to spend a few hours chiseling off the heavy rust, then lots more hours in my sandblaster cabinet.
I gave everything a coat of epoxy primer and had the rotors turned.
While I had the sandblaster out, I cleaned up a set of Super Coupe halfshafts that I picked up 5 years ago and never got around to cleaning up.
I just have to decide on what color to paint the calipers and give everything else a coat of satin black.

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_10132.jpg

I got the spindle and rotor measured up and modeled in Solidworks. Once I get the caliper and bracket done, I can do a drawing from the 3d model.
AssE15004.jpg

I ordered two pairs of the brake conversion packages yesterday.;k The other set is for Corey (my94lightning), the place I am getting them from has three of the correct vans, they are in Central Oregon. They may have one other set...

Shipping is the KILLER because he said EACH side weighs about 90#'s.:(

D&L Auto Parts in Grand Junction,OR 541.688.4713 I talked to Dennis, really nice older guy.:eek:ldtu: He said they don't cut anything so hopefully ABS and brake lines will be reuseable. I know that one of their vans has a 9.75 rearend with Disc and also a 8.8 rearend with discs.

I also talked Shane xt 1608 @ Spalding Auto Parts 800-366-2070 in Spokane,WA and they have everything EXCEPT the Left spindle. Not sure of the condition though. He said $200+shipping.

I found a Left spindle at LKQ in Redmond,OR for $65+shipping. I talked to Justin 541-923-2723
BTW, they JUNK everything else, they only inventory the spindles. Dumba$$es...

Last edited:
i want this setup so bad, and it benefits twofold... my 95 will get bigger front brakes, and my 87 F150 will get upgraded to the 95 calipers and slotted rotors i have on it ...

did we ever get a full parts list for this conversion?

Yes, post #69. 04-06 E150 with front ABS and you need to change the lower ball joint to a 1987-1996 one (the dimensions are a little different). There is at least three guys running this setup and my caliper brackets/backing plates are at the powdercoater at the moment.
Ok, so do we have a good parts list for this swap yet? And, idk if I'm reading this correctly, but with this swap, our bolt pattern will change? Or no?

Same bolt pattern, parts list is in one of the other posts. 2004-2006 E150 + 87-96 lower ball joint.

Gentlemen,
I have been reading and thinking about this thread all day. Please correct me if I am wrong; the 04-06 front brake conversion has been proven and tested. BTW 871Bolt, looks really good. However, I am gathering that the rear conversion has yet to be established. Therefore, I did a little research that you all may or may not know. I understand that the rear axles for our lightnings are (right rear 31 1/16, left rear 33/3/16) and the 04-06 E-150s are (right rear 31 inches, left rear 35 11/16) so, to me, that tells me we cannot swap axles or rear end due to the differences in length.
I currently have the rear disc brake via the explorer conversion but, I am very interested in using the E-150 rear rotors if possible.

Gentlemen,
I have been reading and thinking about this thread all day. Please correct me if I am wrong; the 04-06 front brake conversion has been proven and tested. BTW 871Bolt, looks really good. However, I am gathering that the rear conversion has yet to be established. Therefore, I did a little research that you all may or may not know. I understand that the rear axles for our lightnings are (right rear 31 1/16, left rear 33/3/16) and the 04-06 E-150s are (right rear 31 inches, left rear 35 11/16) so, to me, that tells me we cannot swap axles or rear end due to the differences in length.
I currently have the rear disc brake via the explorer conversion but, I am very interested in using the E-150 rear rotors if possible.

Correct, the E150 rear is a different width thus the brackets are different I had made a separate thread for the rearend here;

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-lightnings/210336-9-75-rearend-upgrade.html

Subscribing. The setup looks awesome, and I really need this for my DD '94.

The image in #181 looks like the line to get into Knotts for FFF.

My Big Brake swap almost done.

I'm just about done with my big brake swap, I am going to use an Expedition Master cylinder, it has a 1/ 1/4" bore. I was disappointed I couldn't use the E150 brake lines because of that dumb brake line T on the drivers side, but oh well. I plan on doing a Bronco 4WABS swap later on down the road and the clips for the ABS sensor are nice to have

I had to completely redesign my front airbag setup because the bags were rubbing on the I-beam's and damaging them. Thanks Sportruk :eek:ldtu: for the helpful ideas.

BigBrakes.jpg

I had to completely redesign my front airbag setup because the bags were rubbing on the I-beam's and damaging them. Thanks Sportruk :eek:ldtu: for the helpful ideas.

Always happy to help.:eek:ldtu:
I got mine back on the road.
I couldn't resist the red paint.
I need to try bleeding again. I can't really get it to lock up the brakes. I'll be interested in the results of the larger master. I just might have to upgrade the master and get some blaided flexlines.

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

I had to paint the rears to match.

IMG_1130.jpg

While I had the rear apart, I changed out the half shafts. I feel a little better with the larger Super Coupe shafts.

IMG_1127.jpg

So, I put a few miles on the Big brakes and still wasn't happy with the pedal effort... :cr:

If I STOOD on it i could lock up the fronts at 40mph...:blink: I decided to try a 1994 F250 Gas truck Brake booster. THAT MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE !!! :heart:

Maybe I just don't have enough vacuum with my cam or something but the stock booster wasn't cutting it. ideally I would like to get a Hydro-Booster off a diesel truck truck but for now this should work.

Keep in mind I already have the Exped 1 1/4" master...

Always happy to help.:eek:ldtu:
I got mine back on the road.
I couldn't resist the red paint.
I need to try bleeding again. I can't really get it to lock up the brakes. I'll be interested in the results of the larger master. I just might have to upgrade the master and get some blaided flexlines.

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

I had to paint the rears to match.

IMG_1130.jpg

While I had the rear apart, I changed out the half shafts. I feel a little better with the larger Super Coupe shafts.

IMG_1127.jpg

What about these: The Driveshaft Shop | FORD Thunderbird 1989-1997 / Mustang Cobra 1999 600HP Complete Rear Axles - Ford - Domestic Axles

Roy

I don't know, I heard Sportruk just spends his time cleaning his truck and making it pretty so he would never have time to go out and break the Super Coupe axles, let one those ones... ;k I'm just saying...

The INSIDE of his bumper is cleaner than the TOP of my hood. I am disappointed that he didn't paint BOTH sides of his valance though... LOL !

I am kind of curious on what Electronic load leveling system he is using now that I look at those pictures again...

Last edited:
At $1600, I think I'll will wait till I snap these ones.:gl: I do need to order up a Control Freak girdle cover to fix the #1 weak spot on these diffs.

I don't know, I heard Sportruk just spends his time cleaning his truck and making it pretty so he would never have time to go out and break the Super Coupe axles, let one those ones... ;k I'm just saying...

The INSIDE of his bumper is cleaner than the TOP of my hood. I am disappointed that he didn't paint BOTH sides of his valance though... LOL !

I am kind of curious on what Electronic load leveling system he is using now that I look at those pictures again...

:punch: :gl:
A shiny surface has less wind resistance, so it goes faster.

I'm glad I didn't waste the time on the back of the valance because I busted it real good the first week I had it out, on a massive speed bump. I have a new Cervinis valance that I need to get painted and put on.

The load leveling system is the AccuAir system. It's the best thing I added since bagging it. It takes all the guess work out of setting the ride height. Just get in and go. If you are bagging a vehicle, you have to install this leveling system. It's well worth the money.

I was having a tough time with soft brakes. I bled mine 5 times before I got it.
I also installed a new brake booster. Mine was 10.5" unit and I install the newer 11.5" one. I don't know if it was the bleeding or the booster, but I can lock up the brakes with no problem now.
I was going to swap the master cylinder, but the F350 master I picked up with the booster was made of cast iron. I want the aluminum one. I want to polish it up to add more shiny bling under the hood.:chacha::lotg:

Last edited:
In my case the brakes weren't soft, the peddle was solid and just required a significant amount of pressure to lock them up. I bled about 8oz through them... The bigger booster helped a lot.

Back