6.0 Procharged Denali Truck Begging to Race

Local guy has a new Denali AWD Crew Cab Pickup 6.0 Liter. He spent 11k on; a procharger, had a local shop install a cam and valve springs, headers with stock exhaust, 4.10 gears and had it tuned and shift points changed. He's been begging me for a couple of months to race. I have an 03 L that I haven't turned a wrench on yet. I'm just curious on you guys thoughts on my chances. He swears he'll take me with no problems.

Mickey

Your chances are so-so, I think. Should be a close race. You can gain lots of power by spending very little if you want a better chance. If not, race and see. Good luck! :eek:ldtu:

have you raced him yet? this thread kinda got a little cluttered with about 4.5 pages of worthless crap. he needs to change his typing shift points and get the hell outta here:3g::wf::eek:fftopic:

I personally think you're gonna need a pulley, tune, and plugs to win; but that's just my .02
like stated on the previous page, those 6.0 motors are no joke and even though the denail quad cab is a heavy SOB, i bet with the AWD it will launch really well and walk away from you (stock) since it's got the procharger. oh, and if you dont launch from a dig very often, i would give that a few tries on your favorite backroad.... Good luck! I hope to read a kill story in this thread.

Dang, here I went and blew 20k on my built motor setup when I could have gone with a Civic VTEC with the correct shift points. I just don't see an easy way to bolt the VTEC up to the 4R100.

If they can put a vtec in a cobra i dont know why you cant put one in your L that will bolt up to your 4R100.:thumbup:
YouTube - Vtech Cobra

Very Tall Engine Cooling + Shift Velocity Timing=1 Fast Cobra

:ae: on the carbon fiber battery cover. No way that will cool the motor 50* ...maybe 20-30 but not 50.

An informative video. Buddy is a fountain of knowledge! All delivered with a straight face/poorly aligned hat.

Tim Skelton

Well, I'm back with a new truck after two and a half yrs and I see some things never change. Thanks for the laugh.:eek:ldtu:

Last edited:
OMG i should have known man... you need to see "pimps up hoes down" its a documentary about pimps and its got don juan in it.

Nope. That's The Archbishop Don "Magic" Juan, the greatest pimp of all time.

437364_f520.jpg

I'm thinking the OP should at least hold his own. Granted the Guy he's racing has a 6.0 but it's not a whole lot bigger than a 5.4. I can only guess the weight and the AWD will slow him down in the long run even though the Procharger will definitely help the top end. I just wonder how much power he's going to lose with the AWD. As far as Stloa I really hope I line up against him some day. I'd be going to MM Fri if I didn't have to work. As far as shift points go I could understand lengthening them if it's a high revving motor like a 4 banger but as for my truck hardening the shifts seems to work just fine for me.

I don't care if you have been working on these trucks your whole life, cars are cars, and the next inovation can come from anywhere, and break all the old (been there, done that) mentalities.

I can assure you the next innovation on these trucks will NOT be moving the shift points up on a stock truck that peaks lower in the rpm band with a small roots blower that runs out of steam quickly.

I can also assure you that doing that won't come close to the gains made by swapping pulleys and tuning it.

But hey if I ever get the urge to stop doing actual racing and instead run 200ft from stoplight to stoplight before slamming on the brakes, I'll be sure to look you up since you're an expert in the matter.

Adjusting the shift points really does help a lot.
My built motor with ported heads and comp *stage 2* cams gained 2 mph and dropped .3 sec in the quarter by DROPPING the shift points from 5800 to 5400 rpms. If someone thinks that spinning the stock heads and cams past 5200 is beneficial, I urge them to go to the track and test that theory.

As far as the topic of this thread, that Denali will be tough to beat with a stock L. A bolt-on 6.0L with full exhaust and a mild performance cam can easily put down high 300's to low 400's hp to the tires. Add to that a mild 6psi and that truck could easily see 475 to 500 hp. Now throw in an AWD launch with a set of gears and a small cam spells disaster for a stock L. I think most of the guys around here forget how slow a bone stock L actually is (seeing how most of us hasn't seen a stock L in years HAHA). But the good news is that you can get a drop in K&N filter, a 6lb lower, and a mail order tune and programmer for about $750 and make close to 400 whp and near 500 tq on a safe pump gas tune. That with a set of DR and it would be a good race.

My built motor with ported heads and comp *stage 2* cams gained 2 mph and dropped .3 sec in the quarter by DROPPING the shift points from 5800 to 5400 rpms. If someone thinks that spinning the stock heads and cams past 5200 is beneficial, I urge them to go to the track and test that theory.

I will be dropping my shift points when I get a tune. Making the power down low helps beat the heat, and save the rods.

Absolutly nothing was learned by going to the track, the guy bringing the drag slicks failed to show, leaving us to work out ways to get the ToYo's to stick, after four try's with no improvmnets, there was no need to play with settings or tunes as we could not get around the water box, or get the tires to warm up enough to stick, spent the first 160 feet pissing away both HP and rubber and posted standard 13.5's and higher. Next month we will be a lot more ready, but I was glad to get this one out of the way.

In a way I was glad for the lower numbers, gateways rules are stricter than I realized and they almost did not let us go at all.

Full length pants, shoes and socks are required

Helmets are required if you run under 14 seconds in the quarter mile. (snell 2000 or SFI 41.1A min )

Driver Fire Jacket for all drivers in cars quicker than 12 seconds in the quarter mile

Passengers allowed in cars slower than 14 seconds in the quarter mile. Passenger must wear helmet, full length pants, shoes, and socks.

Roll Bar in all cars quicker than 11.49 in quarter mile

Roll Cage in all cars quicker than 10.99 in quarter mile

Double posting and I'm the internet noob?

You really think I don't know people have messed with their tranny to get speed.

I don't need some sad, easily "annoyed" faceless Internet dork telling me what I already know, I know from "MY" experience what has worked for "ME", and got the results with little to no money. I to have a pulley, and a filter, cold air box and all the crap you have, and what has gotten my biggest reduction in ET's was tranny work. Tossing money at the problem makes you an ***, not an innovator. I see what others have done, and it's done to death, I'm trying another way. Sorry if that does not make me a member of the boys club, with you as an example I don't wanna be. You do it your way, I'll do it mine.

Did you not see the Procharger part of this post. His power will be more than BHP number vs a known stock L. Oh yeah just change the shift points and blow his doors off!!!!!!!!!lol

Being Pro Ford and a L owner makes me bias, but 6.0 with charger, so what? The 40% loss through the all wheel drivetrain wipes all that off to a less than level playing field. Take him. If not, learn from it.

BTW: a straight line race is never a drivers game with an auto, pass on all the pulleys and crap, change the shift points in the tranny, it will win races.

Absolutly nothing was learned by going to the track, the guy bringing the drag slicks failed to show, leaving us to work out ways to get the ToYo's to stick, after four try's with no improvmnets, there was no need to play with settings or tunes as we could not get around the water box, or get the tires to warm up enough to stick, spent the first 160 feet pissing away both HP and rubber and posted standard 13.5's and higher. Next month we will be a lot more ready, but I was glad to get this one out of the way.

In a way I was glad for the lower numbers, gateways rules are stricter than I realized and they almost did not let us go at all.

Full length pants, shoes and socks are required

Helmets are required if you run under 14 seconds in the quarter mile. (snell 2000 or SFI 41.1A min )

Driver Fire Jacket for all drivers in cars quicker than 12 seconds in the quarter mile

Passengers allowed in cars slower than 14 seconds in the quarter mile. Passenger must wear helmet, full length pants, shoes, and socks.

Roll Bar in all cars quicker than 11.49 in quarter mile

Roll Cage in all cars quicker than 10.99 in quarter mile

thefingernoob.jpg
.........F---king idiot

I may test your theory next time I'm at the track. I think my best times were achieved with mild ~5200-5400 shift points, opposed to my normal 5800-6k shift points.

Back