Throttle cable bracket bolt size?

Sphinx33

Need to weld in a new stud for the plastic shield that goes under the throttle body. Can't seem to figure out stud size and thread. The nut I have from the decent side seems to be a 10-32 but it's so full of rust I can't get a chase or tap through it. Could also be an M5x.8. Im meticulous and want both sides to be the same. IMG_20230117_183039073.jpgIMG_20230117_183052469.jpg

It's certainly metric, and the same thread as other things that use a nut with that size hex. Check the nut on the studs in the passenger wheelwell for the coffee can & smog filter, &/or on the overflow/wiper reservoir bracket.

Appreciate the help! Never know on these trucks, seems like a 50/50 split on sae and metric!
It's certainly metric, and the same thread as other things that use a nut with that size hex. Check the nut on the studs in the passenger wheelwell for the coffee can & smog filter, &/or on the overflow/wiper reservoir bracket.

Never know on these trucks, seems like a 50/50 split on sae and metric!
There IS a predictable pattern, but you have to think about when each part was DESIGNED. The block is from the 60s, so all its threads are inch; but the EFI system is from the mid-80s (about the time Ford switched), so all of it is metric.

Really only the engine-proper ("heads down" let's call it) fasteners are SAE. Pretty much everything else on the truck is metric.

I've reached the point where it annoys me when I receive something aftermarket, let's say exhaust parts for instance, and the fasteners are SAE.

The front suspension, rear axle, door glass guides & outside handles, antenna, and t/g handle are all inch carryovers. For bolts, you can tell by the head marks if they're inch or metric.

(click this text)

I know the caliper bolts, all of the swaybar-related fasteners, top spring retaining clip, and shock mount fasteners on my '95 are metric; I don't recall the i-beam pivot bolts or the bolt through the I-beam/spring, and those could certainly be legacy SAE.

The diff cover bolts are definitely SAE, and that's actually surprising given that the housing is a late redesign, though I guess that limits any kind of confusion for servicing the 8.8.

The coil top bolts are 1/2" like all the diff cover & ABS sensor bolts; coil bottom nuts are 1 1/16"; radius arm nuts are 1 1/4" (IIRC).

Shocks & beam pivots are 18mm. I just stripped this truck last week.

B4nFtr.jpg

I think I've touched every fastener in my truck short of behind the dash. Rebuilt the whole front clip with stainless and anything else I could find that wasn't suspension related with stainless. The guy at Fastenal gave me some very odd looks when I put my order in for bags of SAE and metric bolts. Then I laugh at myself for swapping everything because this truck will never see salt again.

Back