Rallye?????

Ruslow

I would LOVE to do this if I lived closer and I still might I have an event in NV the week after.sounds like alot of fun for all.Stan

BRAILLE RALLYE 2006
Saturday, July 8

It’s hard to believe that another year has passed and it is again time for the Braille Rallye! For those who
have participated in the past, it is an opportunity to renew friendships and rivalries. For those of you who
are joining us for the first time, welcome! We hope you become a regular.

The Braille Rallye was begun over 30 years ago as an incentive for visually challenged students to study
and to grow confident in reading Braille. Each student must qualify by meeting established reading
goals before they can compete as a navigator.

Up to 60 student navigators from Braille Institute Youth Centers all over Southern California compete in a
standard sports car rally, teaming with drivers from sports car clubs, law enforcement, media, and just
regular folks.

The actual rally is very straightforward. The driver/navigator team must get from checkpoint to checkpoint
at the proper speed to attain the correct elapsed time. The directions are written in Braille or large print
and are given to the driver by the navigator. You, the driver, have no idea where you are going; the
challenge is for your navigator to read the instructions properly and to communicate those instructions
clearly to you. These students, like any other California teenager, would like the independence of driving
their own car. That cannot happen, but in this event, they are more than just a passenger. As a driver,
completely dependent on your navigator, you will find a team partner and friend, and a day not easily
forgotten.

Rallye participants should reach the final checkpoint between 1 and 2 PM. There is a luncheon and
awards presentation at the end and the event concludes by about 4 PM.

This is a NON-SPECTATOR event. All the attention is directed towards the navigators. They are the
competitors. They will receive the trophies and the cheers. We do invite the media so they can report
on the activity and the remarkable capabilities of these young people.

There is a $10 Entrance Fee to help defer the costs of the event. The fee is payable the day of the event.

You will receive an entry confirmation package. This will contain a copy of General Rally Instructions and
Sample Rally Instructions.

For those donating their time for this event, it is very rewarding to know that the Braille institute reports that
this is their primary “fun” event promoting reading skills.

To be a DRIVER, please mail or fax a completed Driver Registration/Information Sheet to the registrar
before July 1, 2006.

To be an EVENT WORKER, please contact the Registrar at any of the number shown below.

PLEASE JOIN US FOR ONE OF THE MOST REWARDING DAYS YOU WILL EVER HAVE!

REGISTRAR:
Patricia West
6471 Newbury Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92647-6565
714-841-1249 (phone and fax)
Please phone before faxing
nseandwest@socal.rr.com

FOR FURTHER REFERENCE:
Anita Wright
Braille Institute Youth Center
741 North Vermont Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90029