Goodyear Racing Slicks questions...

Tex Arcana

One: how to heat-cycle them?

Two: how much air pressure to put in them?

If more info is needed, please ask, I'll get the numbers off them later. Yes, brand-new on Lightning rims, btw.

Air psi is dependent on weight alignment and braking abilities.You need to get a infared temp gun[about 100 bucks] and shoot the tire across teh tread[I know] in 3 spots both outside edges and in the center.IF everything is rite the temps will be even IF they are high [same numbers] on the outside edges then the tire are under inflated.IF the center is higher then over.IF the temps are staggered evenlyHigher on the inside then to much camber.and so on.Stan
good starting psi is 22.

Any idea as to what temps I'm shooting for? I've got an infrared temp sensor, contact-type, that works nicely.

You need to use a probe-type sensor instead of an infared. The tire will cool enough to throw off readings with an infared. The heat contained near the cords are what you're after. I know that the Toyo RA-1's on my racecar are supposed to be like high-100's, I think (my "crew chief" knows the exact numbers, I worry more about pressure-settings), but I'm sure you can find the right opperating temps for the Goodyears on the net or by calling a racetire retailer like Appalachian Race Tire, etc. If you don't have a probe-type, an infared can get you a feel for where you're at, but it would be best if someone took temps imediately after the run (we used to do this in the pits right after coming off track). Most companies will say roughly 10-degrees higher on the inside fronts is good, that's only if you're running aggressive camber like <-2ish. Hope this helps.

LogicalRetard said:
You need to use a probe-type sensor instead of an infared. The tire will cool enough to throw off readings with an infared. The heat contained near the cords are what you're after. I know that the Toyo RA-1's on my racecar are supposed to be like high-100's, I think (my "crew chief" knows the exact numbers, I worry more about pressure-settings), but I'm sure you can find the right opperating temps for the Goodyears on the net or by calling a racetire retailer like Appalachian Race Tire, etc. If you don't have a probe-type, an infared can get you a feel for where you're at, but it would be best if someone took temps imediately after the run (we used to do this in the pits right after coming off track). Most companies will say roughly 10-degrees higher on the inside fronts is good, that's only if you're running aggressive camber like <-2ish. Hope this helps.

What does a probe-type cost? Will the infrared get close enough? It's not your "point a laser, get a reading" type, it's an old specialized Kidak fusing roller sensor, you *have* to be in contact to get a correct reading.

I tried finding the info on Goodyear's site, but I couldn't find anything except marketing blather--then again, I'm a search tard, so maybe I was doing ti wrong. :(

I don't typically run an agressive camber, tho the lowering might make it a bit more agressive.

THanks for the info.

Yeah, the Longacre one is good. I don't think there are bad ones unless it's like $5 at some discount place or something like that. What the big deal is, is that the heat on the surface sheds off quickly after you come off track so the surface temps are not accurate all the time. Taking the temp near the cord with a probe is the true way of measuring. As for pressures, give either Appalachian Tire or Competition Tire East a call. Rodney at Appalachian is real cool, but Comp. Tire East sells Goodyears exclusively I think. With near stock camber or maybe around -1-degree or so with a heavy vehicle, you'll probably see a lot higher outside tire temps on the front. It's always cool to see a pic of a car in the corner where the camber is just right. Here's a pic of my Sentra in turn 17 at Sebring: (you can see that I need a little more camber all around, but I'm limited to how far I can adjust with the factory pieces)
ff687179.jpg

Hope this helps.

Back